Chapter 24: It Begins (Pt 1/1)

My phone dings, waking me. I sigh and pull my phone out of my pocket to see who is interrupting my beauty sleep. I squint at my bright phone screen. I focus on a notification that says I have a new message from Daniel. Oh great, no sleep for the weary. I read his message and it tells me to call him ASAP. Of course, what else would it say.

I dial his number and hold the phone to my ear.

Ring ring ring, ring ri—

"Ryder, good. You saw my text."

"I just got home like an hour ago, and I'd really like some sleep. What do you want?"

"Nice to hear from you too, pal."

"I've had a long day. I got owned by a random rogue and just want to sleep."

"What happened? You got owned? Somehow I don't see how that's possible."

"My dad was there, the thought of losing him and the need to protect him clouded my thoughts long enough for the rogue to get a lucky shot on me. Felt stupid for being so, well, stupid."

"No, Ryder, I get it. It happens to the best of us."

"Thanks, man."

"So, I'm guessing you ended up on top?"

"No, actually my dad saved my ass."

"Really?"

"Yep, he shot the rogue and I passed out and he took me back to our campsite and made lunch."

"Wow, your dad's cool."

"Yeah, I'm getting that. Kinda scares me a little though. Anyway, that's not what this call is for. You seemed urgent in your text?"

"Yes, well, we finally have come up with a plan that we are ninety percent sure it'll work."

"And the other ten?"

"The opposite of the plan going well."

"That's what I thought. And let me guess. We can't wait till tomorrow to go over it, and I assume it has to be in person. I'm also assuming that you want me to bring Hunt?"

"That'd be ideal."

"You better have tacos waiting for me when I get there."

"That I can do."

***

We arrive at the pack's mansion and are escorted inside. It didn't take long to get there, since I somehow managed to convince my parents to let me leave the house and take Hunt with me. I totally winged it, and I'm just really glad it worked. Though I don't think Hunt appreciated my winging it too much, considering it embarrassed him. We swore to never speak of it.

A pack member leads us back to a board room where a meeting is being held about our "cutting the beast from the inside out" mission.

"Ah! Ryder, Hunt, you're here, wonderful. Have a seat," Daniel says and pats the seat next to him.

I accept his gesture and sit beside him, and Hunt sits next to me. Across the table sits Alpha Eli, Levy, and someone I don't recognize.

"I know you've both met Alpha Eli and his son Levy, and this is our third in command, Jenson. He specializes in strategy and anything that really has to do with our warriors," Daniel tells us.

"What he's saying is I usually act as a general. In strategy and preparation for coming wars like we have on our hands," Jenson clarifies.

"Alright, cool. So, what's the game plan?" I ask.

"Yeah, how are you planning on getting our asses killed by taking on who-knows-how-many rogues?" Hunt complains.

"Well, the plan is to get you both out alive and intact. This is an inside operation. Rogues are hard to wrangle. They need a strong leader and this thing called magic to put so many together, and without that leader who possesses that magic, things will fall apart," Jenson says.

"When the rogue pack falls apart, they'll be easy to defeat. They're not thinkers, they act without thought or a plan. They just want to attack and kill. They usually have no other desires than to hurt people," Eli adds.

"The leader is most likely an evil son of a bitch who got tossed out of his pack for some reason or another and now has formed his own jacked-up pack to take out his anger and all-around evilness on others," Levy comments.

"I didn't know werewolves could use magic?" I say.

"Well, we can't create our own magic. Most likely the rogue alpha is using a witch to get what he wants. But if he's dead, the witch will move on to the next highest bidder. All they care about is money," Daniel says.

"So you're saying we go in, get close to the leader, and cut the monster off by the head, so it'll fall apart and be easy to take down? How do we know that it won't backfire on us and end up with two heads popping back up, making it even worse?" I ask.

"That, my dear boy, is the possible ten percent worst case scenario," Eli states.

"Well, that's lovely. So how exactly are we going to do this?" Hunt asks.

"By joining the rogue pack," Jenson answers.

"You guys do realize that if we die or even one of us dies my sister will hunt you all down and most likely kill you all slowly and painfully, right?"

"Ryder's right, she will," Hunt says.

"Well, for all of our sakes, you two better not die," Daniel suggests.

"I'm not afraid of some teenaged human girl," Levy says.

"You should be, you really should be," I state in whole-hearted honest truth.

"Yeah, I'm still not scared," Levy says blandly.

"Just you wait, one day you'll see, and you will cower," Hunt insists.

"Whatever you say." Levy rolls his eyes.

"Let's get back on topic here? I'm sure Ryder will agree with me here that we want to go in with every little detail you can give us," Hunt states.

"Yes, we need to know everything you do if we are going save your asses for you."