Chapter 10: Daniel (Pt 1/1)

I grab a water bottle out of the fridge.

"Ryder, how much longer till you're done helping him? You've met with him every morning for a week," she states.

"Shouldn't be much longer, I promise. He hasn't wigged out in a few days. I just want to make sure he's not going to ever again."

"Couldn't you just... kill him? Maybe?" she suggests.

"Mist, he hasn't killed anyone. Yes, he may be a jackass, but he's not a murderer."

"Yet."

"That's why I'm helping him—so that 'yet' won't happen, okay? I know you hate this. I'm not elated about any of this either. If it makes you feel better, he does get his ass kicked a lot."

"Kick him nice and hard for me, would ya?" Mist asks.

"Of course." I give her a quick hug. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have some badassery to get to."

***

"One more time and we'll call it a day."

Hunt stares off into the distance, clearly ignoring what I just said.

"Hey, princess, you listening?"

"Shhh."

"Did you 'shhh' me?"

He yanks me aside, plastering his hand over my mouth. "I said shhh."

I rip his hand away from my mouth. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I whisper-scream at him.

"Listen." He points to his ear.

I hold my breath to improve my hearing. I can hear faint voices in the distance. I look over at Hunt and notice he looks concerned.

"Did you make out any of what they're talking about?" I ask him.

He shakes his head no. He taps his nose then points in the direction of the voices.

"Yeah, I smell 'em too. Rogues." The bad type of werewolves. They smell like rotting garbage.

"They up to no good?" Hunt questions.

"They're too far away."

"Dammit," Hunt mumbles. He looks up at the sky.

I follow his gaze. "It's raining."

"I hate rain," Hunt complains.

"Get over it, princess."

Hunt flares at me. I return a grin.

"Come on, wuss, we're going to do some eavesdropping."

***

Hunt and I crouch behind a bush near what we think are the werewolves we heard earlier.

"There's five that I can count," I whisper. The rain makes it hard to smell them.

"I count four. Where's the fifth?" Hunt replies.

"He's kinda on the outside of the group, he's leaning against the black maple tree."

"Uhhh."

"The one on the far left, you dumbass."

"Oh."

I rub my head. "Shut up and listen, before they notice us."