Chapter 17: Family (Pt 1/2)

Mist walks me into the dining room where our parents sit.

"Mom, Dad, there's something we really need to talk about," Mist tells them.

They both give us strange looks.

"About?" Mom asks.

I stare intently at the ground, trying to avoid eye contact.

"Is everything alright?" Dad questions.

"Yeah, but there's just something you guys should know. There is something Ryder hasn't told you, because he is afraid of what you'd think about it. He's scared that you will see him differently."

I can't take the stress of this conversation and I rush out of the room.

"Ryder," Mist calls out to me. She follows me into the kitchen.

"I can't do it, I can't tell them."

"You can do it, and it will be okay. You have to have faith, Ryder," Mist says.

I breathe heavily. "I'm going to have a panic attack. Please don't make me," I beg her.

"Ryder, it's going to be fine, I promise. Do you want me to tell them?" she asks.

"They'll think I'm a monster," I say.

"You are the furthest thing from a monster. They'd never think of you like that. They know you, they know that you're an amazing person," Mist tries to reassure me.

"Ryder, why would we ever think of you as a monster?" Mom asks.

I whip my head around to see my parents, who have enter the room without me noticing.

"Because he's being irrational," Mist states.

"I am not," I mutter.

"Do you think of yourself as a monster, Ryder, do you?" Dad says.

"No, but—"

"Well, there you have it. I'll tell them for you. Mom, Dad. Ryder's not human," she blurts out bluntly.

The shocked looks on my parents' faces kill me inside. They look at me in confusion. My mom points at me and opens her mouth to say something but decides against it.

"Yeah, yeah, I know he looks human. He's a were—"

I plaster my good hand over her mouth.

"Ryder," she murmurs from under my hand.

"Ryder," my mom complains.

I reluctantly remove my hand from her face. Mist gives me a distasteful look.

"No backing out now, crybaby. He's a werewolf."

I cringe when she says it. I close my eyes because I can't stand to see the looks on my parents' faces.

"A werewolf? Really?" Dad asks, unconvinced.

"The silver thing doesn't give it away?" Mist asks.

"What silver thing?" Mom asks.

Mist grabs my hand and unwraps it.

"Ryder!" Mom rushes over to me. I can feel her gently hold my hand.

A few tears escape my closed eyes.

"Ryder?" my dad asks.

"Open your eyes, sweetheart." She places her hand on my cheek.

Mist rubs my back to try and calm me. I slowly open my eyes. I see my mother's concerned look. It gives me a little relief. I gaze towards my dad. He still has a confused look. I drift back to my mother's eyes.

"So, Mist is telling the truth?" she asks.

Figured my glowing gold eyes would have given her reassurance.

"Yeah," I manage to get out. I sniff, and I try to stop crying.

"Shhh," she coos. "It's alright, baby, it's alright."

I wrap my arm around her and hold her tightly. Mist starts to wrap my hand back up while I hug our mom.

"You sure it's okay?" I sniffle.

"Of course, Ryder." She pulls away to look at me.

"You don't find it a bit strange?" I ask.

"Well of course it is out there, but it's not going to make us love you any less. We can't imagine our lives without you," she reassures me.

"Dad?" I say.

"What your mother said." He still has a weird look on his face, which concerns me.

Mom rolls her eyes. Dad isn't really the touchy-feely type of person. Mom drags him into a group hug.

"Told you so," Mist states.

"Shut up," I complain.

***

The next day after dinner.

"Thank you for helping with dishes," Mom says to me.

"No problem," I say graciously.

"Hey, Ryder, you don't have to be so shy," Mom tells me.

"It's just weird, knowing you guys know now." I avoid eye contact.

"Ryder, I didn't want to say anything in front of your father, but I already kinda knew."

"What?" My eyes widen.

"Did you really think I wouldn't notice the sneaking out? A few times I saw you change. Now, I didn't know why or how you did it and I also didn't know about the silver. Which I had your father put away. But I knew there was something different about you," she says to me.

"Why didn't you say anything to me?" I ask, tilting my head to the side slightly.

"Because, I wanted you to tell us when you were ready. I didn't want to push you away."

"I love you, Mom." I pull her into a tight hug."

"I love you too. You going to tell me where you went every morning that one week?" she gives me her mom look.

"Uhhh."

"You know I can ground you? So, do you want to tell me what you were up to?"

"I was helping a friend."

"Helping a friend with what?" her mom look turns into a mom glare.

"I was helping him with werewolf stuff, he's a werewolf too. Okay?" I yell.

"You didn't have to yell."

"Sorry."

"I'm not upset that you were helping a friend, I just wish you'd tell me when you're going to be out or where you're going. I'm your mom; I'm responsible for anything that happens to you or anything you do, and I have given this talk to Mist too. I'm not targeting you."