Chapter 15: Leaves Taste Bad (Pt 2/2)

"Uhhh, yesss?" I say unwillingly, knowing that I didn't want to get his hopes up. Oops.

"So, you're saying she might forgive me?" A spark of hope flashes in his eyes.

"Forgive is a strong word. Let slide or redeem yourself would better fit the situation," I answer.

"But she really is considering it? I figured she'd just straight-up reject me. It's been months and I heard nothing from you. I figured you either decided to not tell her or just forgot to tell me what she said." His voice starts to raise along with his hopes.

"She has a heart, you know. The reason why you're in the doghouse is because you hurt that heart of hers. She is a very sensitive, emotional person."

"Yeah, I got that much. You don't seem to be to mad at me?" he asks.

"Well, if Mists thumbs you down, I'm never speaking to you again, even though you're a relatively good person. I would never do anything on purpose to upset her. If she doesn't cut you off, I wouldn't mind your presence. When you're in control, you're not half bad."

"I feel like that was a compliment?" He tilts his head to the side, giving me a confused look.

"Ryder."

I launch up onto my feet. "Yeah?"

Mist stands at the back door of our house.

"I'm not even going to ask why he is here, but can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Yeah, sure." I grab my bag and I head inside to talk to Mist. "What is it?" I ask, while placing my bag on a chair.

"Should I talk to him? Should I talk with him before I decide?"

"It couldn't hurt, I guess."

"Ryder, I need you to tell me your one hundred percent honest opinion of Hunt."

"One hundred percent?" I ask.

"Yes," she says, slightly annoyed.

"I won't get disowned?"

She sighs. "No, Ryder, you won't."

"Now that he is better, honestly, he's a pretty good guy. He's funny, sensitive, considerate, and a lot of other good things. I know he did some unspeakable things, but that wasn't the real him."

"I should talk to him. Can you tell him to come in?"

"Sure." I give her a quick side hug and kiss her head. I walk out onto the back porch. "Hunt," I call out.

He turns to look at me. "Yeah?"

"She wants to talk to you before she can decide what she wants to do. She told me to tell you to come in."

Hunt follows me back inside. He stares awkwardly at Mist, like he isn't sure what to do.

"Ryder." She gives me a look that basically is telling me to scram.

"I'll just be in the next room if I'm needed." I exit into the living room. I don't go too far so I can hear them clearly. There's no way I'm going to miss this conversation.

"Hunt, I want to believe that you are the person that Ryder says you are, but I don't know how to. I want to give you a chance, but I don't want this to blow up in my face and look like a fool for trusting someone who did something that really hurt me." She sighs.

"I can understand how hurt you are, and I wish to God I could go back and stop myself from ever doing anything to hurt you, but I can't. I understand what I did is terrible, and I know you probably shouldn't forgive me or even give me a chance, but I'm not that guy anymore. I wish I never was that person," he says, pausing for a moment.

I listen closely to hear Mist's heartbeat. It's fast but not like when she's scared. It's more like she's nervous.

Hunt continues, "I didn't mean to be that person. It was out of my control. I promise to you that I will never hurt you or do anything to displease you on purpose. I care about you more than you might think I do. There's no person in this world I'd rather spend my time with. I've loved you for long as I can remember. I've always admired how brave and bold you are. How sensitive and passionate. I can't imagine a person more caring of others than you. Can you blame me for wanting to be with you? I couldn't dream of someone better," Hunt says.

"I-I don't know what to say," she stutters.

"Say you'll give me a chance to redeem myself, to right my wrongs, to show you the person I really am? Please, Mist, just give me one chance. I promise I won't let you down. I'll understand if you can't."

"Okay."

"Okay what?" he asks confused.

"It means, yes. So, don't blow it." Mist says, almost sounding relieved.

"Is it too soon to hug you?"

"I appreciate you asking before acting. A short, loose hug is acceptable."

Things go quiet for a few seconds. Dammit, I wish I could see through walls.

"I can't put into words to tell you how much this means to me," Hunt exclaims.

"The glowing eyes kinda say it all."

"Oh. Sorry."

"Don't apologize for that. It lets me know you're not lying. Especially since you didn't know they were glowing."

I insert myself back into the kitchen. "So, how's it going?"

"Oh, don't kid yourself, Ryder, you were listening the whole time," Mist states.

"Yeah, true," I agree. "So, what now?"

"We could start with what Hunt and you were doing in the backyard playing in the dirt?"

"We weren't playing in the dirt," Hunt huffs.

"Then what were you doing?" she asks.

"Hunt found himself in a little pickle this morning and didn't show up to school because he was trying to ditch some very pissed-off rogues. And I incidentally got drug in to."

Mist gives Hunt a distasteful look. "That doesn't explain why you two were willingly lying around the yard for like ten minutes?"

"We got a little overheated from running a few miles."

"A few?" Hunt complains.

"So, which one of you is going to tell me how the hell these werewolves got pissed off?"