Chapter 3: Well, That's Not Good . . . (Pt 2/2)

I set the note back down and open the fridge. I gather up all the fixings and make a sandwich so amazing it's fit for a king. And I assure you it is amazing. I clean up my mess and head to the stairs to go get my phone from my room, but I'm stopped at the bottom of the steps when I hear a knock at the door.

"I wonder who that is," I mumble to myself. I walk to the door and turn the lock and open it.

After I open the door, I'm immediately bombarded by a mailman.

"Sign please," he says as he shoves a clipboard in my face.

I sign and give it back to him. He hands me a small box and walks off. I look down at the box. Something's off about it. I have this weird urge to throw it as far as I can or into a volcano or a black hole maybe. Just holding the box makes me feel weak. Whatever is inside it, I don't like and want it gone. I look to see who it's addressed to. It reads: David Gage.

"What the hell did you order?" I close the door and walk to the kitchen and place the package on the table.

I hear the front door open and I turn to look down the hallway to see who it is. My dad walks in, shutting the door behind him, and comes into the kitchen.

"You're home early," I tell him.

"Yeah, I finished the project sooner than I thought I would, so I decided to come home early. Where's your mother?"

"She went to the store to get stuff for dinner," I say.

"Ah, I see. What about your sister? She's usually glued to your hip."

"Haha, yeah. She's at a friend's house right now."

"What's this?" He hangs his jacket on a chair and picks up the package.

"No idea, it was just delivered a minute or so before you got home."

"I can't even remember what I ordered." He laughs. "Guess I'll find out in a moment." He grabs a knife from a drawer and cuts open the box. He takes out some packaging and then pulls out a wooden box. "Oh, I remember now." He opens the wooden box and pulls out what looks like a knife in a leather sheath.

"What is it?" I ask.

"This, my boy, is a collectable knife."

"Oh, cool. What's it made of?" I keep my distance from it.

He gives me a weird look. "It's not gonna bite you." He chuckles. "It's made of mahogany and silver." He walks towards me.

Oh hell no. Why did it have to be silver? Why not gold, platinum, bronze, or steel, or anything but silver. "That's... nice..."

"The best. You want to hold it?" he asks.

"Uh, no thanks, I'm okay," I say.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"Suit yourself." He turns and puts it back into its box and leaves the room. I guess he's going to put it in a safe place, hopefully far from me.

***

Mist gets home got not long after Dad does, and she makes me play board games with her. Which I protest, but I secretly don't mind. I enjoy spending time with my sister. But it's fun to give her a hard time. I'm her brother, it's my job. I now sit on my sofa, watching TV. I keep looking out my window at the woods. I turn off the TV and I go to Mist's room and peek in to see if she's asleep, and sure enough she is. I put my ear up to my foster parents' room. All I hear is some snoring. I quickly but quietly go downstairs and sneak out the back door and head into the woods.

I undress and change into my wolf form. I haven't gone for a run just for fun in a long time. I dart through the trees, weaving back and forth, dodging obstacles and falling snow from the trees on my way. It has snowed since this afternoon. Everything is so crisp and clean. The white snow brightens up the night. Snowflakes still flurry down from above. I can see my breath in the freezing air. The cold has never bothered me. I prefer the cold.

I see a flash of movement out of the corner of my eye. I watch and listen. I hear nothing, but then a sound comes from behind me and I whip around but see nothing. I see another flash pass by. I growl deep and loud, letting whatever's out there know that I know they're there. I spot glowing gold eyes moving towards me. A bad feeling settles over me, and that only happens when I'm about to be in deep shit. Which means nothing good. I continue to growl at the approaching werewolf. I can smell him. He steps out into the light of the moon. He's large and has a dark gray coat. Snow sticks to his fur like he has been out all night. He growls back, and lunges. I duck, and he flies over my head. Haha, idiot. I turn to face him, but he surprises me by a sudden lunge, and his teeth rip in my side. I yelp loudly in pain. I manage to knock him off me, which doesn't help my side any. I give my wound a quick look, and I immediately regret it. I almost gag just looking at it. Well, that's not good.

I hear the wolf growl again. I look up and see him about to attack. I sprint back towards home. The pain in my side grows. I can see the yard and I push harder. I glance back and see the wolf stop and he turns back. I guess he doesn't want to get near the houses.

I run up to my clothes I stashed and put on my pants and use my shirt to sop up the blood. I don't need to make any more red snow. I sneak back inside. I remember seeing some first aid supplies in the bathroom upstairs. I go into my room and to the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I open the cabinet and pull out all the first aid stuff I can find. I accidentally drop the bottle of rubbing alcohol, and I freeze in my spot. I listen to see if I woke anyone, but I hear no movement. I sit on the floor and pull away my blood-soaked shirt and set it aside.

I cringe just looking at it. It has already started to heal. I lean to grab something when the door opens. Mist walks in, half asleep. She squints, then her eyes widen when she seen my wound.

"Oh, my, god..."

Ahh shit.