Chapter 26: Benjamin (Pt 2/2)

"Can you two knuckleheads be quiet? Some of us want to sleep," Hunt growls.

"What are you so tired from, momma's boy?" Benny teases Hunt.

Hunt growls again and buries his head underneath his pillow.

Benny laughs some more. Apparently, he enjoys getting a rise out of people.

Things quiet down for a little while. At ten, everyone starts to flow in. None of them have any common courtesy for the others who are already in bed. I tilt my head to the side. I see Benny kicked back, reading a book on the bottom bunk across from me. I notice that the top bunk is empty, all except for what I think is some flowers? It's hard to see from down here. I ponder to myself why there'd be flowers there. I drift off to sleep before I can finish that thought.

***

"Hey, new boys, get up," Benny shouts.

A pillow hits my face. I moan unhappily.

"Get up, you yuppies. It's almost six," Benny yells.

I hear a pillow thwack Hunt's face, causing him to fall off the bunk. He groans in pain.

"Ahh, suck it up, princess. This isn't summer camp."

I laugh.

"Shut it, Flint." Hunt throws his pillow at me.

"Get your furry little saggy lazy asses up," Benny demands.

Benny yanks Hunt to his feet. He comes towards me. I spring out of bed.

"I'm up!" I shout.

"Good. You dumbasses are going to be late. Now move."

We make it to training just in time. We receive some dirty looks from the instructor. Training flies by. It's easy enough. We head off to breakfast to fill our tanks. Afterward, Hunt and I find ourselves a quite low-traffic area to discuss our best moves.

"We need to rank up and fast. Did you hear the instructors talking about the attack plan? They said they have a plan and it will take place within the next twelve days," Hunt informs me.

"Dammit. We have to find the best and easiest way to rank up ASAP. We have to get this done."

"What are you two dorks talking about, hmmm?" Benny's voice asks from behind us.

Hunt and I just stare at each other for a moment. We both slowly turn around to face Benny. He stands wide, with his arms crossed, which in turn makes his beefy arms bulge.

"We were just shit talking." Hunt tries to play cool but ends up looking like an idiot.

Benny chuckles. "Huh, sounded like I was right about you two. I'm assuming you want to rank up so you'll have an easy time getting close to the old boss and most likely try and behead him or something, hmmm?"

Shit, shit, shit.

"Psh no," Hunt says, trying not to sound like an idiot.

I look at Hunt like why, why do you keep talking?

"It's your lucky day, boys," Benny states.

"Uh, why? I don't really feel lucky right now," I say.

"Because I want to help. Even more lucky for you, I'm that guy who ranks people up in 037."

"Okay, first of all. Didn't see that coming. Second of all, 0-30-what now?" I ask.

He sighs. "The number on the barracks tent you sleep in."

"Ohh," Hunt mutters.

"I don't get it. Why do you want to help? And also, how can we believe you? The alpha's got everyone under magic for compliance," I ask.

"I hate these asshats, that's why," Benny complains.

"If you don't mind me asking what you're doing here then?" Hunt asks.

"Wasn't my idea. I was part of a small pack. A very small pack. These guys killed all of us but me and a buddy of mine. They said, and I quote, 'Join or die.' So, we joined."

"What happened to your buddy? And you also haven't answered my other question yet," I ask.

Hunt jabs his elbow into my side.

"It's fine, princess. Let's just say he didn't blend well. Got in a fight. You can figure out the rest. Magic doesn't affect me. It didn't affect any of my pack." A slight frown pierces his smug smile.

A moment of awkward silence falls over us.

"Alright, pussy cats, I got a good way for you two to climb the ranks like planes fly." He starts walking away. He looks back at us. "You two monkeys coming or not?"

Hunt and I share a glance then hightail our asses after Benny. We catch up to him.

"So, what's the great idea?" Hunt asks.

"You'll find out when we get there," Benny answers Hunt.

"Get where?" I ask him.

He rolls his eyes. "You ding dongs ask an awful lot of questions. If you start talking less and listening more, you might actually learn something useful," Benny suggests.

"Fine, but can you still tell us where we are headed at least?" I ask, trying to sound as nice as I possibly can.

Benny sighs. "We are going to the mess tent to grab some extra credit and a few other things."

"A few other things?" I question.

"What did I say about the questions!" Benny complains.

"Oops..." I clench my teeth.