Chapter 9: Want (Pt 1/1)

An annoying beeping sound blares in my ear. I pry my eyes open. I notice my phone lit up. "It's 5:30 already?" I moan. I roll out of bed and trudge into the bathroom.

I start to think about last night. I think about the worried look on Mist's face when I came home later than expected. I knew she could tell something happened, but she didn't say anything. I got home just in time to give my mom the bag. Hunt really delayed my quick trip to the store. I had to go back and find where I put the bag to take it home. And now I'm about to go meet this idiot.

"It's for Mist, to keep her safe, do it for her," I whisper to myself.

"What's for me?"

"Gah!" I jump. "Stop doing that," I yell.

"Sorry."

"What are you doing up anyway? It's a Saturday, during the summer?"

"Can't sleep. What's for me? You're not leaving, are you?" she asks, worried.

"No, I, it's just. I ran into Hunt last night, quite literally..."

"What happened?" She leans against the bathroom doorway.

"He asked for help."

"For what?"

"You already know he's a werewolf, and it has to do with that. He's having trouble controlling himself. He wants my help to fix that."

"Oh." She looks nervous. I know she doesn't like the idea.

"I know it's not ideal, but you have to trust me here. If I can get him in control, he might stop hurting you. He claims he doesn't want to hurt anyone. So, I have to try. I'm meeting with him in twenty-five minutes."

"Okay, I trust you. I appreciate you telling me the truth. I didn't expect you to do that." I can tell she's still wary.

I pull her into a hug. "I can't keep secrets from you anymore, it hurts too much. Keeping things from Mom and Dad is bad enough. I can't keep anything from you. I know you're not liking this idea, but if this can help keep you safe, I have to try. It's gonna be okay, I promise."

***

I lean against a tree that stands at the edge of the gravel pit while I wait impatiently for Hunt to arrive. After fifteen minutes of waiting, he finally shows his face.

I uncross my arms and push myself off the tree. "You're late," I yell, while walking towards him.

He turns towards me. "Sorry, I got turned around."

"I told you to be here at six sharp. And what time is it now, Hunt?" I ask, thoroughly annoyed.

"Six fifteen. I'm sorry, I—"

I stare him in his eyes, our faces centimeters apart. "Do you think this is a game? Are you going to take this seriously? I don't appreciate my time being wasted. You need to understand that I don't like you, I probably never will. And I hate even the thought of helping you. The only reason I'm here is to protect my sister. You better not forget that, because there is more than one way to keep my sister safe from you. Don't think I'd hesitate to end you." I growl.

He looks at me like he is about to wet himself. "Yeah, I promise it won't happen again."

"Damn right it won't."

***

"Get up, you big baby," I yell at Hunt.

He lies on the ground, shaking a little bit. I start towards him.

"Oh, come on. I didn't even hit you hard. Training helps with control. Hunt? You listening?"

I use my foot to roll him on his back. I notice that his eyes are glowing and that his canines are showing. I place my hand on his chest. His breathing is unsteady, and his heart is racing. More than it should be.

"Fight it, Hunt, fight it."

"I- I can't," he stammers. "It hurts t-too much."

"Yes, you can, or I'll kick your ass," I shout at him.

He rolls over and takes off running.

I rush after him. I figure it wouldn't be a good idea to leave his sorry ass alone in this state. I don't need to deal with any dead bodies. That wouldn't be fun.

Hunt shifts into his wolf form, and I follow suit.

***

I shift back into human form. "Dammit, Hunt, where are you?" I yell into the air. I spin around, sniffing the air, trying to get his scent. But nothing. "Where could he be?" I say to myself. I start wandering to see if I can find his scent.

"Ryder," Hunt's voice calls out.

"Hunt, where are you?" I scan my surroundings, but I can't see him or smell him. The only thing I can smell is the strong odor of sap from maple trees around me.

"Over here," he groans.

I find him in a ditch that was made by a tree that has uprooted. He rests against the dead tree.

"Please tell me you didn't do anything stupid."

"I don't think so," he says, uncertain.

I massage my forehead. "We're supposed to be making progress. Not going backwards."

"I know, I'm sorry. It's just hard."

"Nothing in life is easy. Easy is doing nothing, which means you get nothing. So, do you want to get better, or do you want to do nothing and end up killing someone or getting killed?"

"I want to get better."

"Then you have to want it, Hunt. You have to really want to get better. You can't just say you want it. Because right now I don't feel like that's something you want."

"I do want it!"

"Then prove it."