Chapter 2 | Crystal

Flung to the grass on the side of the road, Crystal's body jerked around for another few seconds before slowly stopping. Pulling air into her lungs, she struggled to push herself up—her strength completely spent.

Arms shaking, she managed to lift her upper body a few inches from the ground and looked up to see blurred shadows moving in the darkness as her obscured hearing returned to normal. Snarls, grunts, and voices battled against each other before an arm snaked around her waist.

Shrieking, she was flung over a shoulder before she found herself staring down a man's jean-clad ass to the ground as he climbed up a tree.

"P-Put me down!"

She wanted to believe her squeaking voice was stronger than it sounded, but she couldn't lie to herself.

She sounded pathetic.

Laughter boomed in response and was echoed by the cackling of another.

"What did you find there, Walter?" a female voice asked before she appeared, upside-down, next to her.

"Can you not smell it? It's a curious thing," Walter said.

Thin lips curved up into a toothy grin that reflected the moonlight. "Oh! A new specimen! Master Mandala would be most interested to see this!"

"We have to get her to the cabin before she regains her strength. You know how fast these werewolves heal," Walter said before he bent his knees and leaped to the next tree.

Crystal gasped as she slipped an inch and he wobbled for a second before regaining his balance.

"Careful!" the female hissed under her breath as Crystal was readjusted on the shoulder.

"You try carrying a werewolf on your shoulder and jump from tree to tree!" he snapped.

A howl rose over the treetops, making them both curse.

"Give her to me," the female said. "My balance is better than yours and you already have her scent on you. Lead the mutts away and meet me back at the cabin."

Filling her lungs full of air, Crystal called out for help as loud as she could.

"Shut up!" the female snapped before her fist slammed into Crystal's face and everything went black.

***

Water splattered across her eyelids, jarring her back to consciousness as a thin, bony shoulder dug into her stomach. Her body ached all over and her head throbbed, but even worse was the knot in her stomach.

Silver reflected off the splashing of the water below. The shallow creek was only a few inches deep and a dozen or so yards wide, but it would be enough to wash away their scent from anyone searching for her. A thin blanket of mist hovered over the water, broken by their swift movements through it.

Bile lurched up her throat and spewed out, catching the vampire off guard and stumbling on the rocks under her feet.

"Ugh! Disgusting runt! You better not have gotten any of that on my clothes!"

She shifted Crystal's weight on her shoulder, making Crystal's stomach churn again.

"Please, stop," Crystal croaked. "I'm gonna—"

The woman flung Crystal backward and her butt hit the rocky creek with a splash. She heaved more stomach acid into the cold water before closing her eyes and leaning back onto her hands, the rough edges of rocks biting into her palms. Raising her face up to the moon, she basked in its light as she pulled cleansing breaths into her lungs.