chap|sixteen

"Nova are you ready for your first day of school?" Darnell asked. They had already dropped Kay off at school and was headed to the daycare.

A week had passed and today was Nova's first day of school. When they went to get her registered, she seemed a little hesitant. She hid behind Don's legs the whole time which was a surprise because Nova wasn't a shy child.

"No." She replied.

This morning she was feeling a little better about going to school. Darnell and Don chucked it up to be since she was the only child, she wasn't comfortable being around a large group of kids.

"Are you scared?"

"A little."

"Nova you don't have to be scared. Ms. Candice is a really nice teacher and you'll be there with little Don." Don told her.

"Really?" She perked up as her eyes grew bigger looking at little Don.

Little Don nodded his head." Yep and when we go outside you can play with me and my friends."

"Okay! I not scared anymore."

Don and Darnell chuckled at her quick change of heart.

Soon they pulled into the daycare parking lot and got out of the truck. They went inside signing both little Don and Nova in. Darnell took little Don by his hand ready to take him to his class.

"Tell daddy you'll see him later." Don squatted down to little Don's height. "I'll see you later ight?" Little Don nodded his head. "We having a great day at school right?"

"Yes daddy." Little don smiled.

"My man." He pulled him in to a hug and kissed him on top of his head.

He stood and took ahold of Nova's hand. "Lets go little mama."

They walked down a hall that led to Nova's class. Walking in they were met with her teacher, Ms. Candice. They said good morning to her and the other parents that were in the room before putting up her book bag that held her blanket and pillow for nap time and extra set of clothes.

Don picked her up and rubbed her back. "Daddy's leaving now. I want you to have a good day too."

Nova hugged him wrapping her little arms around his neck. "I will."

He kissed her on her cheek before putting her back on her feet. "Will mommy pick me up from school?"

Don stayed quiet for a second thinking of what to say. How could he tell this little girl that her mother left her behind and that she probably wouldn't see her mother for a long time. "We'll see baby."

Nova simply nodded. Her teacher came over to speak to Don before he left meeting Darnell in the car.

"How was she?"

"She was good. She asked about her mom though." Don started up the car and backed out leaving the parking lot heading down the street.

"Seatbelt."

Don looked over at Darnell who was eyeing him.

"Were gonna have to have that conversation with her soon."

"Tonight?" Don asked.