chap|thirty-seven

"Come on let's go before we're late!" Darnell yelled down the hall from her and Don's master bedroom. Today the twins had turned three months old and Darnell had set up for them to take family portraits.

After the twins were born, they had to stay in the hospital for five days but to everyone's surprise, even though Darnell had a worrisome pregnancy, the twins were healthy, happy, and vibrant.

From the hospital, Don and Darnell could tell what kind of personalities the twins would have. Cameron was like Darnell in many ways. He was always happy and never wanted to be left alone. He loved attention from anyone that cooed at him and loved being held. While, Braydon was like Don. He was really chill and quiet. He was the baby that sat back and observed everything and everyone around him.

The twins barely cried and the two fit into the family so well. It was like they were the missing piece to complete the Taylor family. Most of all, Don and Darnell loved the way their three oldest children embraced the twins.

Kay was the oldest bossing everyone around. She swore she was the baby whisperer. Nova loved singing to the twins, she said it helped them fall asleep and sometimes it did. Most times they would giggle at the little show she would put on for them. Lastly, little Don was still Darnell's baby. He helped Darnell the best way he could.

Don sat down with him and told him when he wasn't home, he was the man of the house and little Don took it to his five year old heart.

He would grab diapers and wipes for Darnell when the twins needed to be changed, he would hold the bottles up when the twins weren't breast feeding, or he would help Darnell get the twins clothes out when they needed to be dressed. Little Don was mommy's little helper and Darnell loved it.

Darnell looked down at her watch again before going back into her room and walking into her closet to grab her shoes, then to the bathroom to add the final touches to her makeup. So into putting on another coat of mascara, she didn't notice Don standing against the door frame. He sat and watched Darnell as she coated her lips with clear lip gloss.

"You look beautiful mama."

The sound of Don's voice made Darnell jump. She let out a small chuckle before looking over at him. "You scared me-" She told him placing her hand over her beating heart. She gave Don a small smile but Don could tell it didn't meet her eyes.

Over these last three months Darnell wasn't the woman she used to be. She was still a great mother, Don and the kids saw her as super mom. But when it came to her and Don's relationship, that was a different story. Darnell was always the more affectionate person in their relationship. No matter what she was doing, if Don was anywhere near her she would always find a way to be close to him holding his hand, rubbing his body, or giving him kisses.

Don loved it and never turned her love down but she was the one who initiated it first.

But now all of a sudden it had stopped. There was no cuddling or nasty talk when the kids weren't around. Darnell was even wearing long sleeves and pants around the house and to bed and anyone who really knew Darnell knew that she hardly wore clothes to bed or around the house.

Don was lost at this change in Darnell and it bothered him. It brought him back to when things weren't going good in their marriage and he promised that they would never go back to that time.

Figuring makeup wouldn't make her look any better, Darnell closed her makeup drawer and made her way out of the bathroom. She thought she had successfully slid by Don until he grabbed her by her waist pulling her close to him until they were chest to stomach.

Don looked down trying to make eye contact with Darnell but she looked everywhere else trying not to look Don in his face.

"Don we have to go." She said trying to get out of his grasp.