Coming Clean

Ash found it awkward to even look Serena in the eye. However, although he was speechless, he had a lot he wanted to get off his chest and ask Serena about the kiss, but couldn't put it in words, especially doing it while facing her. Ash knew things couldn't stay like this forever, but he wanted to procrastinate as much as he could when it came to seeing her. Before Serena caught up, Pikachu already sensed something going on between the two so, it jumped off, nodded at Ash and started heading to Ash's house, leaving the two of them alone and the chance to thoroughly talk to each other. Serena had caught up to Ash, and was panting for a while. But some time went by.

Silence.

For the first minutes of being left alone, words couldn't escape from Ash's mouth. Ash was standing there, barely looking at Serena, waiting for her to initiate the talk. 

Serena couldn't find words, as she looked down at the dirt, patched ground with a look of guilt on her face. The air was tense between the two. Neither of them knew how to address and handle this situation.

It seemed obvious Serena wasn't going to make the first move, despite her huge effort of chasing after him. Ash decided he was going to, at least attempt to, break the ice between them with a regular conversation.

Ash: It's been a while, hasn't it?

After Serena had heard his voice for the first time she came to the Alola region, her expression immediately changed to a wide eyed shock, and her eyes immediately looked up at Ash, who was trying to force a smile. Serena gathered up the courage to give him a response, and a smile back.

Serena: Yeah... it has...

Feeling a little bit more confident after seeing Serena's worried expression soften, he decided to carry on the conversation.

Ash: You seem well, judging how cheerful and pretty you've gotten-

Suddenly, Ash caught what he had said and felt his face getting hot again, and immediately looked away. There was no chance that he could face her for a second time. How could he have slipped up this bad? But to his surprise, he only heard a chuckle that slowly grew into giggling. When he looked back up, Serena was only giggling about what he had said, with a blush on her face. She recollected herself to give him another response.

Serena: Thanks Ash... You definitely look well too.

A bit more silence went by, but now it wasn't as tense as it was before having gone through that. It was more like, they didn't know where to start off and address first. Suddenly, Ash had a suggestion.

Ash: Hey... Wanna go for a stroll around the beachside to get familiar around here? Just the two of us...

Serena couldn't be more thrilled to hear the words 'Just the two of us' coming out of Ash's mouth. With a beaming smile on her face, she gleefully accepted.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

The duo were walking on Hau'li City's beachside broad walk with the slowly setting sun beaming down on the water, making the vast ocean appear orange. People were getting the most as they could out of the beach before they could call it a day, lying down on the sand and such.  A huge volleyball game was in session and younger kids were running on the shore, as well as wild Corsola running away from Mareanie. Lampposts were slowly turning on as it grew darker and others were enjoying outdoor dinners at fancy restaurants that were on every corner. A live show was featuring multiple Marowaks twirling batons that were on fire, which drew a audience of cheering people.

There was still a bit of tension between the two, as they were strolling around the broad walk, until Ash decided to break the silence again.

Ash: This is Hau'li City's beachside. It tends to be pretty lively around here.