5. attached

The entire day was terrible.

People kept staring at Taehyung. Not the way they used to though; not in disgust. Today, they looked at him with pity. He kept his head down the whole time, avoiding any type of eye contact. During class, his teachers went up to him and asked him if he was ok. He even saw one watching him from her desk. He didn't get any work done. His thoughts were too distracting.

He felt extremely uncomfortable. Everyone was paying attention to him. All eyes were constantly on him. But despite all the people who were looking after him, Taehyung felt alone. More alone than when he first got here. For some unknown reason, Taehyung felt like there was a void in his heart. One that couldn't be filled with all the attention in the world.
---
Taehyung sat in class with a pencil in his hand and no words on his paper. He twirled the writing utensil in his fingers, passing the time. He looked at the clock.

Still forty minutes left.

He put down the pencil and stared at the blank piece of paper. He heard the seconds pass by.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

"You should have have at least some words on your paper by now," Jungkook said. He was sitting backwards on a chair from the desk in front of Taehyung. His arms were on the back, head resting on them.

Taehyung leaned back in his chair.

"So you're here too now," he muttered.

Jungkook smiled and let out a chuckle.

"I go wherever you go. I promised you I'd never let anyone harm you and I'm not going to break that promise. I plan to protect you no matter what."

"Yeah, well, that same promise is preventing you from sitting here. Beside me."

Jungkook sat upright.

"I'm right here."

"Can you stop saying that," Taehyung whispered.

"You're not here. You're gone."

"You don't seem to believe that."

"What is that even supposed to mean?"

"You're the one who keeps seeing me. You don't seem to think I'm gone."

"Can you just stop," Taehyung's voice hovers above a whisper.

"Or do you just not want to believe that? That I'm-"

"Just stop," Taehyung spoke louder.

"You're not over the fact that I'm dead."

"Will you just stop," Taehyung yelled, head jerked up to look at Jungkook who was no longer there. Instead he sees his classmates and teacher staring at him.

"Taehyung, do you need a break," the teacher offered.

Yes. Yes, I need a break. I need a break from it all.

"No, thank you. I'm fine," he insisted.

"Are you sure?"

I'm sure that I'm anything but fine. It's all too much. Too much.

Taehyung nodded.

I just want it all to stop.