11. last hello

TWO MONTHS LATER

Taehyung arrived home, somewhat excited. He couldn't wait to show Jin and Namjoon his report card. After all that hard work, he had managed to keep his grades up and rising. Not only that, but today was his last therapy session. His therapist said that he has improved greatly with his mental health. In fact, Taehyung hasn't seen Jungkook for almost three months. He still had dreams about him though, except they weren't nightmares. They were pleasant dreams. It was almost as if Jungkook was living his life alongside Taehyung.

Taehyung entered his home and went into the kitchen. Empty. He looked at the refrigerator where there was a note:

We went to the grocery store again because SOMEONE forgot to bring the list last time and almost left us with no food. We'll be back as soon as possible. There's some ramen in the cupboard.
- Appa

Taehyung grinned at the little note and put his backpack on the floor. He quickly made some simple ramen and ate in silence. Once he was done, he grabbed his bag and head up to his room to change.

Despite no one being in the house, he closed his room door. Just as he was about to take off his shirt, he saw something by the window.

Taehyung looked in front of him to see Jungkook. Except, it wasn't how he usually did.

This one was wearing all white. An all white suit. His presence was there but not quite so. You could almost see right through him.

Taehyung squinted his eyes trying to make sense of what was in front of him.

"Jungkook?"

The boy laughed.

"Yeah, it's me. And I'm having a small déjà vu right now."

Taehyung came closer to the figure in front of him. He held his hand out in front of him in wonder. Jungkook let out a small giggle and put his hand out too. Though the hands did not meet, Taehyung felt the softness and warmth of Jungkook's presence. Their hands lowered and the boys were face to face.

"I'm so proud of you, Taehyung," Jungkook said. "You've come so far."

"Well that's just because you helped me become who am. Are... are you real? Or just another vision?"

Jungkook's rosy cheeks lifted.

"I guess that depends on your definition of what's real. Taehyung, I've been watching you everyday. I've seen how you've grown. You're such a strong person, Taehyung."

Taehyung looked into his companion's sparkling eyes.

"I miss you. So much."

"But you don't have to! I'm always with you. There's no need to miss me."

"And yet my heart aches for you every day."

Jungkook reached for Taehyung's hand but pulled back when he realized they cannot touch.

Jungkook shifted his feet for a while before he spoke again.

"There's something I wanna tell you. I've been meaning to say it but I never got around to it."

Taehyung raised his brows in curiosity.

"Yeah?"

Jungkook let out a laugh.

"You've already figured this out for yourself but I want you to hear it from me. I love you, Taehyung. For every day I knew you, I loved you. I cherished you. You made me a kind of happy I never knew existed."

Taehyung's body tingled with joy. For so long he'd been wanting to hear those words.

"I love you too, Jungkook. For everyday for the rest of my life."

Jungkook's figure began to waver. He was fading away.

"No, Jungkook, please don't go. Not again."

Jungkook smiled sadly.

"Don't think of this as a goodbye. Just a final hello."

"Ok. Ok, just a final hello."

"And please don't be sad anymore," Jungkook remarked. "Live your life happily. I'm in a good place now. Oh and take care of my parents and brother. Tell them I'm doing ok."

"I promise," Taehyung nodded.

Jungkook began to fade away. Just before he disappeared, he said one last sentence.

"I love you, Kim Taehyung."

Taehyung ignored the tears dwelling in his eyes and got a long, last look at his lover's face.

"I love you too, Jeon Jungkook."