Chapter 13. One Last Time

We sat there, crying, for two hours.

I thought about my baby. Our baby.

How he or she will never meet theirs father. Their wonderful father.

I need to see him one last time. One last time to see his eyes.

One last time to see his smile.

One last time to say I love you.

I asked JJ where they held the prisoners.

"What are you thinking? You can't just barge in there! It'll be heavily guarded and you have no excuse to visit him besides telling everyone that he's your mate, and you can't do that. So, I ask again, what are you thinking?" She said in one, long breath.

"I'll lie. I'll tell them that I want to see the wolf who murdered Graydon." I responded.

"You know that might not work." She responded.

"It's all we've got."

An hour later...

We've arrived at the prison. Kept outside of Alpha Greg's house, it's only escapable route a small door, the only entry as well. We go in, shocked at the horrendous sight that awaited us.

They walls were wet and covered in algae. The wooden benches were rotting away, and the ground was ankle deep mud.

I stifled a sob and continued toward the guard. "I wish to see the Black Thorn prisoner. I need to look into the eyes of the wolf who killed Graydon." I said, as confidently as I could manage.

The guard huffed and lead us down the hall. The farther we got, the more disgusting it became. Rats scurried beneath our feet. The sludge got thicker, and there were cobwebs in very nook and cranny.

When we got to the last cell, I could see him, sitting there, hands bound behind his back, on his knees, head down.

His beautiful blond hair was covered in filth, dry blood and tears.

"Let me in" I demanded.

As the guard opened the door, he didn't move. I walked in and stood behind him, staring until the guard left with JJ.

As soon as he was out of sight and earshot, I dove down onto him, wrapping him in a living hug.

He didn't see who I was until I lifted my head, revealing my identity.

He tried to hug me back, but failed. He dug his head into my shoulder, all he could do.

I place my hands on his face and kiss him like it was the last time, as it may as well be.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper. "This is all my fault. I heard a noise on my way to the room and I didn't check it out and-"

"Stop. This isn't your fault." He whispered back, eyes glistening from tears. "I shouldn't have killed him, when he called you his mate and I lost it. It's my fault."

"No, he's just stubborn." I said and then I kissed him again.

"So they found out our secret, eh?" He stifled a smile.

I paused. "No, they haven't. They thought that I was with Graydon and then you showed up. I tried to tell them the truth, but they wouldn't listen."

"So they're all still oblivious to the baby?" He asks.

"Yeah. It's our secret."I replied, then continued," JJ knows too."

"I haven't met her, but the way that you talk about her makes me trust her." He says lovingly.

"Thank you." I say.

"I'm gonna find a way to get you out of this. Then we can run away, have our baby, be happy. We can live in a small cottage, normal house, or, heck, we could live on a farm in Mexico! As long as I'm with you we could live on the street. I ca-won't lose you." I say.

"Luna, look at me." He says forcefully. I stare into his eyes, tears rolling down both of our cheeks.

"Luna, I love you more than anyone could love anything. That's why I can't have is living on the run for the rest of our lives. Imagine what it will do to the baby." He paused and looked at me stomach. "As much as it pains me to see you this way, I have to do this for you."

"Luke." I say as fiercely as I can," You don't have to do this. We'll move states, countries, or even continents just as long as I have you."

"You need to leave Luna. Whatever you do, don't go to the execution. It will break your heart." He looked at me, eyes ablaze in desperation.

"Ok." I said simply, heartbroken.

"I love you." He said, eyes searching my soul.

"I love you more." I said through the tears.

"I love you most."

With that, I gave him a final kiss, more passionate than ever before, and I slowly walked away.

The hand that cupped his beautiful face slid away and fell back to my side.

As I closed the prison door I looked back at him, helpless, defeated, near death, it was too much to bear.

The hot tears burned my skin as I sludges back to JJ, heart more than just broken or shattered.

It was gone.

----------------------------------------------

Ok, so a lot happened. I still haven't received any comments, but oh well.

Shout out to Fizzyliquids for releasing her newest story, Domed.

That is all.

-S