Chapter 18. The Search

The blur that is the love of my life and his demonic father disappear from sight.

I run over to the edge just in time to see them crash into the canopy of trees.

The tree tops are nearly 100ft down.

I feel a soul-crushing weight on my back.

I sit there, eyes never leaving the spot where they landed, until my father puts his hand on my shoulder, jerking me out of my trance.

"Sweetheart, should we go look for them?" He asks.

"Why are you asking me?" I ask, and then I remember. I'm the Alpha now.

I need to be strong.

But all of my strength fell over the cliff only minutes ago.

I feel a new strength, a slight flick in my stomach.

The baby.

I realize that I need to be strong for this baby, the one thing that I have left of Luke that can't be taken from me.

I stand up, as confidently as possible, and address my pack. All of the Black Thorn soldiers had retreated back over the border.

"Send out search parties. We'll search as long as we need to until the bodies are found," I breathed in," dead or alive."

They all split up, leaving me, still on the cliffs edge, and my father.

"Sweetheart? Are you alright?"

I say nothing.

"I've never told you the truth about how your mother died."

I look at him.

"You were at JJ's. Your mother was on her daily border patrol. She was always so paranoid." He stifles a quiet laugh.

"But that one day, Black Thorn had decided to move the border up a few feet. Your mother caught them in the act."

I watched his face run with emotions.

Sadness.

Anger.

Regret.

"She called them out in it, and they decided to attack her."

I breathed in.

"She was so badly injured that she couldn't be moved and the pack healer at the time had to come to the border to fix her up."

I could see his eyes glistening.

"He said that she would be fine, that it would all be ok.

Then Black Thorn came back. The warriors caught us by surprise and pinned us to the ground.

We couldn't move. And I couldn't help your-" he let out a sob. "Your poor mother was murdered by Jonathan."

I was crying now too.

"I know the pain of losing your mate. It's crushing, but there is hope. She left me with the greatest gift of all. You. And now, you have a gift from him as well." He says, putting his hand on my stomach.

"He may not be dead, dad. He could have made it...right?"

"I wish I could agree with you sweetheart, but a fall like that will shatter your spine. Even if you did survive you wouldn't want to live." He says as soothingly as possible.

"I can't live in a world without him. He was my light. He was my heart. He was my everything."

That was all I could take.

I let out a wail.

My light was gone.

My heart was gone.

My everything was gone.

I can't raise this baby alone. He or she need their father.

All of a sudden I hear a howl from the bottom of the cliff.

Could it be?

No it couldn't.

But what if it was?

Impossible.

A voice in my head tells me the answer;

It's him.

---------------------------------------------------

I couldn't just kill him off! I'm not a psycho!

Ps the next chapter is gonna be long but very important.

Vote and comment

-S