Chapter 8

ABAGAIL put Daniel in the most non distracting place in her thoughts - after all she couldn’t have him plaguing her thoughts while she celebrated her birthday. She would wait until she was alone before deciding what further actions to take with her mate.

Wearing a black dress covered in red roses and green vines - just like her tattoo, she stared at herself in the mirror. Shaking her hair, the aurburn curls different shades and highlights, whipping from side to side. Walking out she marvelled her legs as she took each step in black heels.

“Awe you look cute!” Samantha, Cadens little sister cheered. She was thirteen but acted, a lot of the time, like five as she pranced up to the older girl. “Happy birthday.” She smiled, wrapping her arms around Abagails waist.

“Thank you Sammy.” Abagail smiled, hugging her best friends little sister back. They were all close like family.

“I heard you found your mate - and Caden said not to tell you but he invited him here - ” Abagail froze in the younger girls grip as she admitted the plans of her older brother. “Are you okay Abby?”

“Uh - yeah, yes I am.” She recovered quickly and shook her head in reply, cheeks dusted an irreversible pink. “Can you go get Caden for me?” Samantha agreed eagerly as she bounded out the room, hair the same dark red as her brothers. As soon as the door closed to the room Abagail started getting nervous. She quickly fell down onto the couch and pulled her legs up to her chest. She hadn’t really met Daniel. And Caden thought that inviting a human to a werewolves coming of age party, who also happens to be the birthday girls mate, was a good idea?

“You called?” Caden smirked, waltzing into the room wearing a black button up shirt and hair combed through. “You look nervous.”

She wanted to kill him.

“You invited Daniel! What were you thinking? Obviously you weren’t.” Abagails legs bounced as she set them back on the ground. “What do you expect me to do? Tell him I’m a werewolf?” Abagail couldn’t stop asking questions, mostly to just deliver blows in Cadens painfully unthought out plan. “He’s a human who we didn’t pay attention to until my birthday - how do you think he feels?” Caden only sat beside his friend, letting her rant out her frustrations at him. “That’s if he even comes.” Flopping herself against the back of the couch Abagail let out a defeated sigh.

“He’s already here.” Caden said, finally answering her back. At the time of inviting Daniel, it had seemed like a good idea - helping out his friend in getting the guy she was destined for, helping them increase their connection - but now he was second guessing. A swift punch to the gut was all Caden got for with a thanks. “I’ll go get him.” He wheezed out, realizing how falty his plan was now.

Stumbling towards the door, Caden regained his composure before stepping out into the hallway. He scanned the family photo covered walls, finally spotting Daniel, who stood awkwardly still. He wore a plain blue shirt and jeans, paired with his usual thick-rimmed glasses and light hair.

“She is, somewhat ready for you.” Caden smirked, rubbing his stomach where he had previously been punched.

“She didn’t know I was coming - I can leave - ” Caden eyed the boy who was sputtering out response after response at him, feet shifting his body weight from side to side. Very nervous.

“Go in there.” Caden rolled his eyes, slightly amused at the human. Daniel agreed silently, cautiously walking towards the closed door to where his anxious mate paced back and forth in anticipation. “She won’t bite - unless you want her to.” Daniel blushed, turning the door knob before taking a step inside the room.

ABAGAIL tried to regulate her breathing - Caden might be her Alpha but he was still the dumbest werewolf to grace the Earth. Her head snapped up, hands pressed against the back of the couch harder as she stood. Her heels gave her an advantage, probably being able to stare into Daniels baby blue eyes.

Because of Caden everything had to speed up. She had to find something in some way to tell him why he was here - to explain why Abagail has easily starting to pine after him within such a short time.

“Hey Daniel.” She greeted coyly. “Caden just told me you were here.” She tucked a lock of hair behing her ear, not expecting a response from the blushing boy quickly. Looking up she was greeted with a red face and an awkwardly standing boy.

Daniel couldn’t believe she was wearing a dress and heels. She seemed so comfortable in it that he was surprised she didn’t wear them all the time. She carried herself in self-confidence and beauty that Daniel shuffled closer to her.

But the only reason he actually came here was to get down to the bottom of this. Why did she show an interest? Why was he invited to her birthday?

Taking a deep breath, Daniel worked up as much courage that he could muster. “Why am I here?”

Abagail didn’t meet his gaze, instead she used her teeth to gnaw at her lip. She had to pick what to say - how to say it. She couldn’t blurt out that she was a werewolf, that the moongoddess decided that they were destined to be - that she, Abagail, was totally and utterly okay with that. He wouldn't believe her.

“Look - Daniel.” She took a deep breath, ready to spin the truth. “I like you and - Caden was just trying to help out.” She stared at him, seeing disbelief light his features - he didn’t hide his emotions well, as they appeared clear as day on his face.

“You - like, me?” His voice came out shaky as he stared at her. Looking at her as if she had lost too many brain cells in a fight.

“Yeah, don’t need to repeat it.” She bit her tongue, her cheeks heating up as she rocked back and forth in her heels. He wasn’t buying it - she had to keep going. “I know you’re probably like "what? this is crazy" but I’m being honest - I like you Daniel.”

“Like me or like like me?” He swayed where he stood, causing Abagail to take a few strides towards him - hoping that he’d remain upright.

“Like like you.” She felt dumb for saying that sentence out loud but she didn’t want him to find out about her werewolf just yet. Even if her wolf growled in protest, trying to wriggle its way to the surface.

Abagail closed her eyes - knowing they’d glow at her wolf trying to bubble to the surface. Get under control.

“Sorry - I, uh - like someone else.” he mumbled, watching her with her eyes closed.

Never had Abagail wanted to kill Holly Hammond in any moment of her life than right now.