37

September 9th

Grace's POV.

    I sit in the hospital waiting room tapping my foot wildly. The nurse keeps telling me that she'll let me in when she's awake, and reassuring me that everything is okay. I click on my phone and see a text from Two-bit.

what room? we're here.

I reply and turn off my phone, running my fingers through my hair. shortly the boys walk in through the double doors towards me, earning weird looks from the people in the waiting room. Darry hugs me and walks over to the nurses table, and they tell him the same thing they told me, except now irritated. Soda comes up behind me and hugs me, i hug him back and pout when he let's go.
"What the hell happened?" Steve asks, his hair is wild and his eyes are wide. He's been acting real nice lately, and it's kind of odd since he's never nice. He was my least favorite in the gang, Elena's too but we put up with him and his sexual comments because he's Soda's bestfriend. It's nice that he's here for her though.
   "She was drunk, and walking to lord knows where" i start, as Darry hurried back to listen in.
"I don't think she was looking where she was going. She got hit by a car, and they left her there. Drove away and didn't even call 911" i choke out, tears stinging my eyes. The boys look pissed. Since Elena and I moved to Tulsa, and met the boys they became so overprotective of us. They were our brothers and to them we were their little sisters, and whenever we got hurt they were always there.
       They stare at me, and Johnny puts his head in his hands. Soda pulls me into his arms and kisses my shoulders, and Two-bit just stares at the floor.
"What the fuck" Ponyboy says, interrupting the silence. We look up to where his wife eyes are focused on and see Randy Adderson walking the hallway, eyes straight ahead at us.
  Two-bit gets up, like he's ready to punch Randy right in the throat.
"Probably coming back to admire the work he did" Two says through clenched teeth.
"Stop" i whisper-yell at him, pulling him down.
"He's the one who found Elena, and drove her here. He's not a Soc right now he's a friend" i say. Two looks at me and nods, sitting down as Randy finally reaches us.
"H-how's she doing?" he asks me, pretending the gang wasn't there.
"Shes still sleeping" i reply with a sad smile. he looks at me sadly and walks away. Before taking off down the hallway, he turns to us looking at all of us this time.
"Just so you know, it wasn't a Soc who did this to her. Trust me, if one did i'd know about it" he says, turning away. I smile and fall back into Soda's arms.
"It's going to be okay" he whispers in my ear, i nod and i pray that he's right.

An hour passes and we're all sat in the waiting room, waiting for her to wake up. Two-bit and Steve are annoying some of the young nurses, and laughing crazily when the nurses hiss at them. Johnny fell asleep, and Darry is pacing. Nurses keep coming out and telling us that she's fine and we could go home and come back. Darry always tells her no, that we want to see her.
    I ignore two-bit and steve's horseplay, and all young nurses and girls staring at sodapop. i focus my attention on the ceiling tiles. counting away, trying to keep myself calm. Everytime i start to shake or get anxious Soda squeezes me, reminding me that he's still here.
   "Do you think Dally will come" i ask him quietly. He pauses for a minute and kisses my shoulder.
"I'm sorry, but i don't think so" He replies. I nod, knowing i would get the answer i didn't want to hear.
   Suddenly a nurse comes out of Elena's room smiling.
"She's awake!" she calls out. Darry practically jumps out of his skin, and we all hurry into the room.
   I gasp when i see her. My beautiful bestfriend was laying in the bed, with bandages wrapped around her stomach, her foot was in a black cast up to her knee and she had cuts on her face.
"You're alive!" steve yells, causing Elena to wince.
"Shhh. I am concussed" she slurs, and smiles.
I walk over to her bed and sit on the empty side. She smiles widely.
"You'll never believe what just happened to me" she says with wide eyes.
  i laugh in response and grab her hand.
"You're so stupid" i say, and tears start to fall down my face.
"What would i have done if you didn't make it?" i ask. she wipes my tears and smiles.
"And leave your crazy ass alone?" she says. Johnny clears his throats and im reminded that they are in the room.
   I sneak into the back while the boys all say hi, and laugh along to steve's stupid jokes. Darry is holding her hand through it all, and he looks genuinely happy.
    Later on, visiting hours are over. Only one of us sleeps the night, and since she was going to be here for a few days i didn't want to leave her alone, but i had work the next day.
"I can stay here tonight. So you can go to work" Darry says to me, he's next to Elena as she sleeps. I smile, and agree. I leave the room and close the door. I take Soda's hand who was waiting for me and we walk out the hospital.
"She's gonna be okay. She's strong" Soda says smiling.
"I know, she always was the strong one" i reply.