Homesick

It was a quiet December night, and Castiel was sitting in the hallway, waiting for his roommate. He was deep in thought, saddened by knowing that he couldn't be with his family for Christmas. Gabriel and Samandriel would be already decorating the tree without him by now. Father probably had chosen to play festive Christmas songs throughout their home. At least Castiel had his roommate. Dean insisted that they have a little Christmas together because neither of them could go home for the holidays. Castiel wished that Dean would come back soon. He missed him.
"Hey Cass! I'm back, did you miss me? Oh- can you help me with these?" Castiel was ripped from his thoughts, and stood up.
"Hello Dean." Dean held a few plastic bags, each of them seeming to be slipping from his grasp, but somehow he managed to hole on. Castiel loved watching Dean attempt to do impossibly difficult things like this. He would always try to do things the hard way for whatever reason. "Here, I'll take these ones." Dean passed four of the bags onto Castiel's hand, and the weight pulled at his arms.
"Thanks Cass. Lemme open the door real quick." Dean pulled his keys out of his back pocket and twisted them into the lock. Both of the boys were relieved to here the clicking signaling the door was finally open. "I got some things to decorate our room, and I also got some more of those cookies. I know how much you like them."
Castiels eyes lit up. Dean was so thoughtful and kind to Cass. He couldn't even think as to why Dean had taken such a liking to him. He didn't think there was anything special about himself. He thought perhaps Dean was just a nice person, and would do these things for anybody.
"Thank you Dean. Really, thank you. I don't know why you're so kind to me." Castiel put their bags on the floor by Deans bed, and moved to sit on his own.
"It's nothing Cass. I know you're upset about being stuck here for the holidays and I want you to be happy." Dean gave a warm smile, the kind that melts Castiels heart.
"Oh actually, I got you something as well Dean." Cass walked to the mini fridge in the corner and pulled out a large apple pie.
"Hey! What's this? Oh wow thanks Cass. Mhmm it's from the bakery too..." Dean walked over to look at the pie. He inspected the box and grinned. The smell of the pie filled their small bleak room, and brought a sweet winter charm.
"You're welcome Dean."

Castiel was laying in his bed. He was so tired, but he just couldn't sleep. The thoughts of his family, and missing out on being with them sprouted a dull ache in his heart. It was then that Castiel wept, in his bed with tears streaming down his face. He fought his urge to cry out, afraid to awake Dean. The sobs became larger until his body shook with sadness and homesickness. He missed his family dreadfully, and he felt so alone. That is, until a warm, strong hand gripped his shoulder.
    "Cass? What's up?" Dean asked, with his usual cool voice.
    Castiel continued to shudder and cry for a few moments before finding his own voice. "I'm sorry Dean. I didn't mean to wake you."
    "Hey, there's nothing to be sorry about. I don't mind waking up, just tell me what's wrong." Dean now rubbed the palm of his hand into Castiel's back, pressing gently into the tense muscle. "It's okay Cass, just let it out man."
    Castiel was grateful that Dean was here, and didn't want to hurt his feelings by wishing he was with his family. Dean was being kind though, and just wanted to help, so Castiel decided that he would allow his friend to comfort him. "Dean I miss my family... so much. I'm so homesick, but I don't know if I'm even welcome there anymore. After the things I've done, I wouldn't be surprised if my own family never wanted to see me again."
    Dean stopped moving his hand, and gingerly scooped Castiel up in his arms.
    "What are you doing Dean?" Castiel was surprised that Dean could lift him so effortlessly after just waking up.
    "Come on Cass, you can sleep in my bed with me tonight. Then you don't have to be alone." In a small sweeping motion, Dean laid Castiel into his bed, and pulled up the covers. He could barely make it out in the dim room, but he could see Castiel's deep blue eyes watching him in awe. Dean had always wanted to be there for Cass, the boy he secretly longed for, and now was his chance. He leaned down to get into the bed as well, and shuffled closer to Cass, draping his sleepy arms around him.
     "Dean you don't have to." Castiel blushed, and was embarrassed. He felt he must come across as a helpless baby to Dean, and that's why Dean took such good care of him.
    "It doesn't matter if I don't have to. I want to Cass. I want to hold you, and comfort you." Castiel was confused. What did Dean mean?
    "Why Dean? Why are you so kind to me? I hardly can repay the favor even when I try." More tears came. He felt horrible to have someone be so wonderful to him when he didn't think he was worth it. Not after the things he'd done.
    "What do you mean why? Cass I care about you. I... i-never mind..." Dean didn't know if he should say what he felt. Cass might not feel the same. He wished he did though, he hoped.
    "You what? Tell me Dean." Castiel grew more curious. The sobs became softer and the tears stopped, as he waited for Dean to continue, and he felt the comfort and love from being in his arms.
    "I love you Castiel." Dean said the words slowly, and they rang like bells through Castiel's head.