Chapter 12

I was running, down a two lane road darker than the void around me. Beside me rode that same demonic skeleton, dressed in scraps of leather that hung loosely off his bones and fluttered in a breeze only he felt. He turned his head towards me, empty sockets meeting my gaze as if even though he had no eyes, he could see into my very soul.

"Where are you going?" It's deep, raspy voice interrogated. Sharp teeth jutted out from his jaw, their tips just as red as the last time I saw him, stained permanently.

Before I could answer, he revved the engine and the motorcycle raced forward. He pulled into my path and cut the engine. My bare feet scraped against the road as I tried to stop but it wasn't enough to keep me from colliding with the beast.

His boney hands closed tightly over my arms, pulling me onto his bike with a high pitched laughed that clattered down my spine. He started up the bike again but instead of following the road as I had been, he took a sharp turn into the darkness. My scream wasn't heard over the roar of his engine or the manic laughter he produced. All I heard was thunder in my ears.

A moment later, he took me by the hair and threw me to the side. I hit the ground hard, my knees aching from the force. He too dismounted his bike, stepping towards me in boots that rattled with chains. Once he reached my collapsed figure, he squatted next to me, his joints cracking loudly with the movement.

As if he hasn't left that bike in centuries.

"What happened to saving the King?" It's unnatural voice demanded of me, tilting it's head to the side ... too far to be normal.

My mouth gaped open in an answer though no sound came forth. Again, I was cursed with silence. I couldn't answer him, I couldn't beg for him to spare my life. When he heard no response, he grabbed my hair again and jerked my head to the side, nearly snapping my neck as he did so.

"Look there." He ordered, pointing.

Nothing sat before me, nothing but darkness. Pure emptiness. I strained to see something more, to not have this vacant sensation twisting through my veins like ice. But no matter how hard I stared, I saw only that lifeless null. I saw nothing.

"Nothing?" The creature asked, his grip tightening. He forced my head forwards, farther into the dark, "Look again."

And so I did, expecting more of the same. But what I saw was so very different than before. This time, I saw a person.

The demon stood and stepped away from me though he lingered nearby as I crawled towards this person, calling out for them in my hushed shrieks. As I crept closer, I noticed that this person was incredibly short ... no, not short, they were hunched over. In pain. I could hear them crying, sob after sob.

I was close enough now to reach for them, for my fingers to stretch out and brush over their shoulder. At my touch, the person turned.

"Toby."

The statement came not from me, but from the impersonation which stood before me. The thing resembled my brother but the missing eyes was a dead giveaway that whoever – whatever – this monster was, it wasn't Toby.

Blood streaked down his cheeks in crimson tears and his bottom lip trembled, "Why didn't you come back, Sadie? Why didn't you save me?"

Tears of my own splashed into the darkness foaming at my feet, but I couldn't express my apologies. I tried time and time again but the creature only stared at me as my mouth moved but remained silent.