Chapter 18

"Come on, Dimples. Keep your hands up." Dustin instructed again, using his own fists as an example.

I sighed internally, to avoid yet another lecture, and rose my hands higher even though my arms were burning at this point. I've never really been into the whole 'exercise' or 'working out' trend that has swept through modern society in recent years. I was more of a cuddle up on the couch with a bag of chips and a carbonated beverage. So holding my hands in front of my face for an upwards of an hour and a half was certainly something I never did for fun.

Dustin's gaze became taunting, "Don't tell me you're tired already? We've barely even started and you have a long way to go before you're ready to fight Sam, let alone a Reaper."

My glare could be considered deadly by all unfortunate enough to witness it, "I just don't understand how this is going to help me."

As he promised, Dustin was training me to fight. But to my utter dismay, we've yet to cover any offensive moves. Only defense. I haven't thrown a punch or a kick, I haven't even gotten to scratch him. I've only held my hands in front of my face. For the entire time. And I couldn't even do that right.

A gentle smack to the side of my head set my stomach boiling. I looked towards Dustin who was enjoying my irritation far too much. I stood to my full height, out of the ridiculous stance Dustin placed me in, and crossed my arms over my chest, "Did you just hit me?"

He shrugged with a cheeky grin, "Maybe if you kept your hands up, you could block it."

A few snickers sounded from nearby and I turned my glare on Corinth and Eli, who were sitting together on the ground, leaning against one another as they watched the Vice and I squabble. Lumiere stood beside them, his right shoulder braced against the brick wall of the warehouse as he too tried to stifle his laughter, unsuccessfully might I add.

Luckily, we were on the far side of the warehouse, facing away from the main lot inside the compound. I'd rather try and fail in front of people I'm comfortable with than the entire Tribe. Especially the Elders who, despite my technical passing of Tribe initiation, still didn't believe I belonged here. When Dustin told me our first lesson would be conducted in mild secrecy, I couldn't have been more ecstatic.

But even now, I felt that excitement fading. I wanted to be a natural talent like Corinth, or have brute strength like Lumiere, or quick reflexes like Eli. Or all three, like Dustin. But I didn't have such qualities, I wasn't like them. I wasn't cut out for a life like this. My muscles were weak from being used only to carry laundry throughout the house. My fists were calloused only from using my knuckles to scrub at pesky stains on dishes.

I wanted to be strong, but I've never known the kinds of hardships the Tribe experiences on a daily basis.

"Keep it up you three." I warned anyways to fake my authority and hide my lack of certainty, "You'll be the first ones I come after with my new ninja skills."

Lumiere's hands fluttered over his heart and I saw his shoulders shrug in a blissful exhale, "That is the first threat I've heard you make since Monday. I'm truly honored to be on the receiving end, my dear."

With an irritated sigh of his own, Dustin dropped his hand onto the crown of my head and twisted my face back towards him. He pointed towards his eyes with two fingers, "Focus on me Sadie, not them. In fights, there are distractions everywhere. You have to learn how to tune them out."

How could I tune them out when their ridicule had merit? Shaking my head free from his hold, I unleashed my impudence, "I already know how to block my face, and run for my life, and hide. Teach me something useful, teach me how to fight back."