Chapter 38

"For the last time, I didn't see who it was." I grumbled for what must have been the hundredth time that night. The officer only glared at me, as he has every other time, doubting every word I said and scolding every roll of my eyes. But I couldn't help it. No matter how many times these numskulls asked me about tonight's events, my answer won't change.

    "Someone broke into your house, someone your father is telling us was Dustin King, and you expect us to believe you didn't see anything?" The officer asked, tucking his pad of paper back into his pocket once he realized my statement would be no help in this investigation.

    That's right, give up.

    I shrugged, sparing a momentary glance towards my father, "It was dark and it all happened so fast. My father has been working long hours, I think he might be sleep deprived. Delusional even."

    The officer laughed, "You can be sure I won't put that in the official report. Your father would have both our heads."

    He walked away cackling as if that were my intention, to make a joke. But it wasn't. It was so far from my true intentions.

    What would appear to be the entire police force arrived only minutes after Dustin and Lumiere left, and have been here for hours. Going over the same information time and time again with the expectation of it suddenly changing. But it won't, not with my ways of deception playing such a vital role.

     I can't begin to fathom how Lumiere managed to carry Dustin away while also hiding both of their motorcycles, but the man must be miracle worker. When the police searched the nearby streets, they found nothing. No trace of the man or an evidence of his presence subsisted.

    Much to my father's dismay. He wanted Dustin's head on the chopping block but there was no head to be found. Only a tale without support. As long as I kept up my charades, this charge would fall through and if I have anything to say about it, my father's plan for conviction will never see the day in court.

    The officer I'd just been talking to reported my statement, or lack thereof, to the lead detective of the case. Normally, a break-in wouldn't have the merits to be deemed worthy for a detective of this man's importance, but my father called him personally because of who was being blamed. Dustin's name is legend around these parts and everyone wants to be responsible for putting the wolf down when so many others have failed.

    The detective glanced at me then sauntered over, a charming smile on his weathered face, "Sadie is it? We met earlier today, my name is Jim. I work with your father at the courthouse."

    I hated him already, "Yes sir, I remember."

    He took a modest grip on my elbow and led me to the side, away from the crowd growing around my father who was spewing out information about his valiant efforts of assaulting Dustin King with a frying pan. Once away from the madness and now standing in the living room, Jim gestured for me to sit beside him on the couch. When I hesitated, he chuckled, "I won't bite."

    He didn't sound convincing, and I wasn't at all convinced.

    I took a seat on his left but kept a distance, "Do you have more questions for me, detective?"

    Much like the policemen in the other room, he pulled out his notes and read over them, speaking under his breath as he went, "Man breaks in, finds him in the room with his daughter, renders him unconscious, and then escapes with the help of another." Jim turned back towards me, "Your father's testimony alone is enough to apprehend Dustin King for trespassing and endangerment. It won't hold but all we need is a starting point, the rest will fall into place."