Epilogue

I pulled the sheets out of the washer, switching them over to the dryer while carefully balancing the basket on my hip. The dry-cleaners was busy today, not that I recognized any of the faces around me. They were mostly locals of the area but none that had been at the funeral. I'm sure there will be more when I come back for the last load, people seem to be swarming all public places since the announcement of Rosen's demise.

The citizens aren't scared anymore.

I guess one good thing came out of this mess.

One woman across the room has been eyeing me for an hour while I did laundry and as I made way for the door, she finally scrounged up the courage to approach me. She seemed friendly enough; short and petite with curly hair and thick rimmed glasses, "Excuse me miss, you're the girl with the Tribe right?"

I wondered what gave me away, the countless times these people have seen me riding with the Tribe or the signature Tribe look Corinth dressed me in today. Normally Corinth's fashion sense consisted of skimpy outfits that showed far too much skin for any average civilian but today, she dressed me in a simple pair of black jeans and a grey t-shirt. Even Corinth has been sporting only jeans and sweatpants since ...

I nodded to the woman's question to distract myself from my thoughts and smiled politely, "Yes ma'am."

"My husband and I heard about Dustin's passing but where out of town during the funeral. We didn't know him well but a while back, he helped my husband with a few loansharks who were giving us quite a bit of trouble." She looked towards the ground, adjusting the hem of her shirt as if it were out of place, "We never got the chance to thank him."

I tensed as I always did when someone spoke of Dustin, but kept my tone light as not to offend because I knew this women meant no disrespect, "He never looked for recognition."

She nodded and shrugged, "I know, I just ..." Her eyes turned sympathetic, pitying me like everyone else in this godforsaken town, "I just thought someone should know."

She's right, someone should know. Because even though Dustin never wanted recognition, he certainly deserved it.

I thanked her for her kindness and bid her a quick farewell, escaping with my laundry while the woman looked after me in remorse. I couldn't handle anyone else telling me stories of Dustin's past. Each day several people or more would seek me out, wanting to express gratitude to me since they no longer could to Dustin. It seemed like he helped everyone in town at one point or another, offering protection or money or just a friendly face with a smile. I didn't realize he was so involved in the community.

Then again, there was a lot I never got the chance to ask him.

I hastily made way for the car Sam's parents lent to us where Corinth was waiting after loading her own basket of laundry. I set my basket beside hers and climbed into the passenger seat with a heavy sigh that left my lungs itching. Corinth glanced at me as we pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road, "You okay?"

"Sure." I mumbled, rubbing at my aching eyes. Dustin told me to be strong for Corinth and for Lumiere, and for everyone else. And I'm trying, I really am. But it's not easy. Sometimes I smile even while my heart is breaking and I laugh when all I want to do is curl up and cry.

Dustin said to be strong but he didn't tell me how hard that request would be to fulfill. Everyone else has the luxury of being sad, of mourning their loss in whatever way helps them cope. But Lumiere, Eli, Corinth, and I don't have that luxury. We have to be strong.

Because we lead the Tribe now, and leaders don't cry.

Dustin never cried.

I suppose you don't realize how much you love and rely on someone until they're gone, and it's hard to move on when the whole damn town constantly reminds you of a nightmare you'd do anything to forget.