Chapter 2: Part Two: Emery

Emery stood, rain dripping down from his hair

Emery stood, rain dripping down from his hair. The chilled air didn't trouble him. He barely even felt the water drip on his skin. He felt glad for it actually. It had washed away the blood, but he could still faintly taste traces of the metallic substance lingering on his tongue. He cringed at the reminder of what had happened only an hour ago. The only upside to the horrid event was that sated the demon was easier for him to control.

It had taken some time to wrestle his body back from the demon's command, but now Emery felt more in control of himself then he had been in days. As horrified as he was by what the demon had forced him to do, he was also equally thrilled to feel so much like himself. Memories of his life as a human had begun to slowly filter in when he regained himself. Emery hadn't recalled much before. This was a great improvement over the near void he had suffered before. He had lived in this city, Lux Haven it was called. That much was now clear.

He had seen a tidy little apartment . A somber woman was seated on a leather sofa; her dull ebony hair was much like his own. She cradled a infant in her arms, swaddled in bright pink blankets. The woman's face was etched with a tight smile, concealing pain behind it's worn edges. He grasped at the image trying to draw out the truth. They city was illuminated by the bright light of the rising sun through paneled windows. The vision faded, twisting away like a forgotten dream. When he had awoken from his stupor, he found himself surrounded by the iron spiked fence of the Lux Haven power plant.

The demon had compelled him to wander here where its master was waiting. He clutched his fits tightly enjoying the feel of his own movements, but fear crept in underneath as the world focused. This was probably the last place he wanted to be.

Emery glanced at the ominous building blanketed in darkness. He blinked, attempting to concentrate on the enormous facility. It looked even more terrifying this close up then in the vision the demon had sent to him. He swore he could almost feel the evil emitting from the structure, but surely that wasn't something he could sense or perhaps it was.

Once again, he could feel the demon squirm under his skin, wanting to get out. It could sense how close they were to their required destination. Emery squashed it deep down. He had just gained back control, there was no way he was going to give it back up that easily.

Before he could walk away from the wretched facility, like every bone in his body was urging him to, the voice of the demon returned. "I'm glad you made it." It hissed. "A little early too. I'm very pleased."

This time the voice wasn't coming from his head. Emery turned his attention behind him, where a human-shaped silhouette lay in wait. Its scarlet eyes glowed fiercely through the darkness. A shiver worked its way up Emery's spine. It already knew he was here. It was too much too late for him to turn away now.

The other demon shifted forward until it was only a few feet away from him. Its lips contorted into a crooked smile. The demon was very pleased indeed. It lifted its left hand towards him. Sharpened talons motioned for him to take a step forward. Emery didn't react, his feet remained frozen in place, as if they were glued to the wet grass. He'd rather die than play any part in the despair this creature had in mind.