Chapter 4: Part One: Emery

The demon's consciousness was threaded into his own; tangled into one unmanageable knot

The demon's consciousness was threaded into his own; tangled into one unmanageable knot. Emery could pull at the intertwining stings, but it was too difficult to tell where one ended and the other began. He would never be able to unravel the strands. They were one in the same now; bound. He felt the strength of their joined minds. He was intoxicated by the potential of this power. Emery still felt human in a way, but the monster's instincts...his new compulsions surged to the surface. He longed to slit something's throat, specifically, a particular monster. The urge burned through his veins, hot as a raging fire. The demon that had escaped his grasp, he would find it, and he would destroy it.

Curious humans pressed their faces up against the thick glass. There were three of them, watching him night and day. They scribbled down notes carefully as they monitored his every movement. Emery was sure he was a boring specimen, since all he did was blink up back at them, fingers curled into a fist.

Emery had been dumbfounded that he hadn't been killed the night he had finally decided to embrace the darkness. He remembered telling her, the girl with crimson hair, to let them shoot him. He wasn't afraid of death, and then all he had wanted was to not harm another living soul. Emery had been terrified being so close to a human. It was his worst fear to tear into another innocent's skin, to press his lips against their flesh, and feel their warm blood against his tongue. He shuttered, recoiling from his roaming thoughts.

He observed the humans behind the window into his prison. They were draped in finely pressed lab coats, two enormous pockets were positioned near the bottom, and an embroidered navy 'A' was stitched into the right side over the breast. Two of the human's heads were now pressed low reading through previously written notes. The third, pushed the bridge of his glasses back up over his nose, his blue eyes were intent, focused on not missing anything. His dull blonde hair was shaggy and wild from days of not taking proper care of it, too focused on the specimen he had in his lab.

Emery hated feeling like a lab rat in a cage. The sense of being trapped was often overwhelming. As much as he was glad for being behind these walls, locked away, he also resented it. He wondered how long he'd be forced to remain here. Forever? If it prevented him from injuring another person, he'd manage it somehow.

The legs of the metal chair he was seated in scraped against the cement floor as he pushed himself to his feet. The sound caught the attention of all of the three of the N.O.D.E personnel. The two lab assistants, whose necks had been craning over scattered papers, snapped their heads up and stared. Emery had begun to pace his cell, circling the sterile table centered in the middle of the room.

The rest of the space was barren except for a twin sized cot pressed up against the wall. The thin mattress was covered with cream linen sheets, an old indigo threadbare blanket, and a flimsy pillow. He hadn't even bothered using the pillow in the three nights he had slept between the cold sheets, there had been no point.

Emery reached up and ran a hand through his unruly ebony hair as he rounded the table for the fifth time. He longed for something to do, a book to read, or even a crossword puzzle. He feared being stuck in the same room with nothing other than the sparse furniture and inquisitive stares would eventually drive him mad.