Chapter 4: Part Two : Emery

Emery stared, fixated on the shadows that flickered across the ceiling

Emery stared, fixated on the shadows that flickered across the ceiling. The lights had been dimmed, and all of of the lab assistants had been switched out for a fresh batch. Emery assumed it was night. He was laying down pressing against his uneven mattress. A spring jabbed him in the back. It wasn't painful, but it still wasn't comfortable to sleep on, even for a demon. Emery wasn't entirely sure he needed sleep anyway...

The shadows continued to dance. Their shapes twirled and shifted as the people in the other room moved about their business, observing his sleep patterns...or lack thereof. He ran his smooth human fingers along his bed sheets in a repetitive pattern, circling. There was no way he'd be able to sleep tonight. A nearly forgotten emotion had pulsed through his chest, blooming slowly at first, but the feeling gained traction with each passing second. He breathed in the warmth of it. It spread outward to the tips of his fingers.

The girl, Annalise, had promised him books in the morning. He was excited by the prospect of having something to do, but that wasn't entirely it. He was elated, glad that he hadn't murdered her. Much to his surprise, Emery had discovered that he hadn't even wanted to hurt her. She had been so close to him, near enough that he had scented her fear. It hadn't triggered the darkness that rattled around his caged heart. He'd been so afraid that he'd kill her, that the hunger that had consumed him before would creep back into his veins. Still it hadn't. Emery smiled, even letting his fangs escape. For a second he almost let himself believe he wasn't a monster.

But you did kill your sister, the thought sprouted from the edges of his mind, jarring him back to reality. It surged forward, winding around him keeping him restrained like handcuffs, until that's all he could think of. The smile on his face vanished. He closed his eyes, remembering her red hair, and the bright emerald eyes. The fear on her face was etched in his mind, painful like it had been carved into his flesh with a dull knife. How could he have forgotten? How could have ever for a second not remembered? Emery clawed at his blankets. His palms stuck to the fabric as they began to sweat.

Emery growled, the sound reverberated low in his throat. He was a cruel monster, a blood-thirsty demon. He couldn't let himself forget what he truly was, no matter what. The sound had startled one of the lab techs, who dropped her writing utensil with a plop onto the tile floor. Emery rolled over to watch the dark haired woman reach down underneath to retrieve it. He felt the guilt wash over him once more and grimaced.

It wasn't until she was bent down nearly touching the ground that he saw it, a shadow growing in size on the wall behind her, a silhouette that shouldn't have been there. He shook his head from side to side as if the motion would erase the eerie thing from his sight, of course it didn't work. It crept along the wall following her as if it was part of her, but Emery knew better. He'd seen something like it once before.

Emery jerked up, flinging off his sheets, they fell haphazardly into a lump on the cool ground.

"Watch out!" He called out to the woman, on instinct she ducked under her desk, pulling her knees up to her chin. If she had been a moment slower she would have been dead, slumped onto the ground. The shadow had reached a clawed hand to slice the woman open, but it's empty talons clicked together as they met with the vacant air.