Chapter 5: Part One: Annalise

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

I really don't like doing notes at the beginning of stories so I'll keep this short.  I just wanted to inform everyone who has been reading that I've changed the name of the demon hunting group to N.O.D.E (North, Outland, Demon, Exterminators). That is all, please enjoy. :) 

********

It didn't matter that Emery had saved her life. If he had anything to do with the brutal attack on the scientist in this lab, she would slit his throat open herself. She glanced around quickly, eyeing the two crumpled bodies, pale skin swimming in a sea of red liquid. A pang of gilt washed over her, if he had murdered these people it would be all her fault.

Anna forced herself to take a step closer to the two demons, sword in her steady grasp. They were facing each other with sharpened claws outstretched. Emery eyed the other monster wearly. The side of his face that held prominent human features was turned to her. Anna attempted to decipher the stark outline of his left cheekbone, the way his mouth was down-turned into a grim frown. Her mind churned. What had happened here? No one spoke, even though she was sure she had asked the question aloud.

The other demon moved first, striking out with menacing fangs. He ignored Emery completely, quick enough to maneuver behind him before the other demon realized what had happened. He was going for the woman on the ground. The only person who had survived this savage event.

Inwardly, Anna cursed. As her legs sprung forward, her heavy boots connected with the cement floor. Pain erupted from her still healing injury, but she did her best to ignore with. With teeth clenched, she brought the blade of her sword down onto the creature, He sidestepped out of her path. The oversized dog was swifter than he looked, and she was much slower than usual.

Emery turned, catching the monster in the back with his clawed hand. "Don't touch her." He growled. His one red eye seemed to glow.

Anna felt relief when she realized Emery was protecting the girl. It seemed like she was in debt to him again, until recently she thought she'd never be grateful for a demon. He was a powerful force to be reckoned with, stronger than most lesser beasts. With one swipe of his claws he had managed to slow the other demon down in it's tracks.

Her team of slayers hadn't moved. She had signaled for them to stay put as soon as they had entered the room and glimpsed the gruesome scene before them. Anna could sense them behind her, their nerves rattled. Instinctively she knew they had their guns trained on both of the monsters, but this space was too small for them to take a clean shot.

Anna turned to them, only taking her eyes off the warring demons for a split second. "Giselle," She said. "Don't shoot the more human looking one. I think he's trying to help."

Giselle grunted, but didn't give Anna any lip. She knew her sharpshooter would listen to her even if she disagreed. They'd built up enough trust over the years of working together that Ann knew that the dark skinned girl would take her direction, even if there was some hesitation.