Chapter 3 - It's For The Best

{Kaylee}

I woke up the next morning, deciding to let Cayden wake up whenever he wants to.

I sighed and knew I had to do whatever it takes to do what's best for him.

Without a job, I can't raise him knowing I'm at risk of getting evicted.

I knew only one person to call.

I got to the kitchen and called my Aunt Imogen and Uncle Roger, the one family member that didn't hate me or Cayden.

**phone conversation**

(AI = Aunt Imogen ; K = Kaycee)

AI: "Hello, Kaylee! How are you, dear?"

K: "Hi, Aunt Imogen. And to be fully honest, not really so good."

AI: "Why, what's wrong??"

K: "Well.... I lost my job," i said.

AI: "How, what happened??"

K: "They shut down the company without even a warning." *start sobbing.

K: "Aunt Imogen, I'm at risk at getting evicted, and they could take Cayden away from me. I don't want him growing up on the streets o-or in some abusive foster home."

AI: "Sweetheart, calm down, don't cry."

K: "I-I don't want to let him go, but I don't want him to be suffering. I-Is there a chance you can take care of him from now on??"

AI: "...Kaylee... Is it that bad??"

K: "Yes. I understand if you can't but I have nobody else, Aunt Imogen."

AI: "No, no, honey, of course we'll take care of Cayden. No hesitation at all. But if its that bad, You may need to spend some time here to readjust, too. And sweetheart, you aren't relapsing, aren't you??"

K: ".... I wish I can say no. Cayden doesn't know, and I'm trying so hard. I'm so sorry..."

AI: "Listen, I want you two to come here by tonight. You all need to get away from the stress Reno is giving you.

K: *heavy sigh* "Okay, we will."

AI: "It'll be okay, honey. I'll see you tonight."

K: "Thank you so much, Aunt Imgen. I'll wake up Cayden so we can start packing."

AI: "Alright. I love you. Bye."

K: "I love you too. Bye."

**end of phone conversation**

I hung up the phone and burried my head in my hands when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

I looked and saw it was Cayden.

"What's wrong, Kaylee??" he asked, looking worried.

I sigh, and pick him up so he was sitting on my lap.

"We'll be going away for a while, and you'll be living with Auntie Imogen until I can get a good job for both of us," i said.

"Oh," he said, sounding sad.

"Listen, I love you so much, Cayden. I want what's best for you and to keep you from starving on the streets," I said. "But I am never ever leaving you. Ever. Okay??"

He nodded and we hugged tightly before we went to get ready for the 8 hour trip to Salt Lake City.

***

"You got everything??" I asked Cayden as I buttoned up his jean jacket.

"Yeah," he said.

I nodded as I grabbed his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles backpack full of stuff to distract him in the car, and then grabbed our bags and my coat before we leave the apartment and to my car.

We were soon on the road, Cayden taking a nap.

Hopefully things will be alright after I find a good job, but at least Cayden is in safe hands.

~~~~~~~~

Note: Since I update this story on my tablet, I will be adding pictures and videos when I get to a computer, as well as edit bold/italicized text if the text is hunched together for some unknown reason.