Chapter 4 - Sugar Rushes and Loving Family Members

[Kaylee's POV]

We soon arrived and it was night time.

Uncle Roger waited on the porch and I climb out, opening Caydens door, and picking up his sleeping body in my arms.

"Hey there," Uncle Roger said as he hugged us carefully.

"Hey," I said. "Again, thank you so much."

"You two are family, and we never refuse you that. Your parents were a different story, but you kids have good hearts, especially you, Kaylee," he said.

I held back tears and nodded. "Thank you."

He smiled and nodded back. 'How about you two rest up inside with Imogen, and I'll get your things up to your rooms?"

"Okay," I said as I went up the stairs inside the house, Cayden and was greeted by Aunt Imogen.

"There they are," she said as she hugged us, Cayden waking up and rubbing his eyes.

"Hi, honey," Aunt Imogen said. "Aw, is someone sleepy?"

"Hi," Cayden yawned, waving sleepily.

"I'm guessing some confetti cupcakes with buttercream can perk you up," she said.

Cayden then shot up, wide awake, with a huge grin on his face.

I knew she'd use is favorite food on him. Hehe.

"Thata' boy! Come on!" she said excitedly as I set Cayden down on the ground.

"Um, I think it's a little late for sweets, Aunt Imogen. He'll be up all night," I said.

"Oh, honey, one cupcake wouldn't hurt," my aunt said.

"Pretty please, Kaylee! Pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pleeeeeeease!!!?" Cayden begged, giving me sad puppy dog eyes and a quivering lip.

I laughed and gave in.

"Okay, okay, but just one cupcake and then off to bed," I said.

"YAY!!!!" he cheered and ran off into the kitchen.

"Prepare for a sugar rush," i joked, making Aunt Imogen giggle.

I sat in the kitchen with Cayden and our aunt as he babbled on to her about school, home, and what he reads in books and funny jokes while happily eating his most favorite cupcake in the world.

Soon I got him ready for bed and he was out like a light as soon as his head hit that pillow.

Uncle Roger also went to sleep.

I was in the kitchen with Aunt Imogen as we sipped some tea.

"So, I guess you two are in a pretty tight spot," she said.

I sigh, nodding. "I don't want to see us on the streets, much less see Cayden taken away from me and livin in some house with God knows who or what. He's all I have left to keep me going, Auntie. He's... He's basically, my rock," I said, feeling tears brim my eyes.

"I know, sweetheart. Everything will work out alright. We'll be more than happy to welcome Cayden here until you get back on your feet, and will help anyway we can," she said. "You can work at the warehouse with your uncle, or at the office with me."

I nodded, wiping some tears.

"You also have to find the will to stop self-harming yourself, Kaylee. You are too beautiful to be damaging your body. I'm sure the last thing Cayden would want to see is you in some psychiatric hospital with many doses of anti-depression pills at every hour, or worse in a grave."

I sigh, letting a sob out.

"Its just so hard..." I cried quietly.

"That's life, sweetheart. Life's always gonna be tough, but you gotta be tougher," Aunt Imogen said.

She wasn't wrong there.

She leaned over and we both hugged, and I cried into her shoulder as she gently rubbed my back with her thin hands.

"Just let it out, Kaylee, it alright," she comforted.

I soon calmed down.

"Let's get some sleep, sweetheart," she said.

We went upstairs, got ready for bed, and then went to sleep.