Chapter 6 - The Next Morning

It was a challenge to fall asleep even in my room.

It was a bigger challenge trying to convince Cayden it was just a nightmare.

He shouldn't have to be traumatized like that.

Me, however, was completely terrified out of my mind.

Laughing Jack? Who is he? Was he the one responsible for all those murders of children?? If so, he'll have to go through me first before getting to Cayden.

I woke up and and tried to calm myself down, Cayden thankfully fast asleep. I couldn't eat, I couldn't think straight... The meet thought of last night had me a nervous wreck.

I had a job interview later on in the afternoon, so I had all morning to relax my nerves until my aunt and uncle come home.

It didn't take long until Cayden woke up, still sleepy but still also clinging to me.

He was still scared, but I don't blame him.

"You okay?" I asked.

He nodded. "It was a scary dream."

"But its only a dream, sweetie. Nobody is gonna hurt you so long as I'm standing," I said, holding him close.

I hate even telling Cayden a little white lie, but he'll be traumatized and shaken up if I tell him a killer clown from hell tried to kill us last night.

Though its obvious any future birthday parties aren't gonna have any birthday clowns, and he'll be staying away from McDonald's for quite a while.

"Kaylee?" Cayden murmured.

"Yes?"

"Do you... hurt yourself??" he asked.

I froze in horror. I almost forgot.

"W-Where did you get that from?" I asked.

"In the dream... You had red lines on your arms and they were bloody... And you said you did them. Laughing Jack made you tell him. Is that true?" he asked with worry in his eyes.

Don't tell him... Don't you dare tell him...

I shake my head. "No, baby, I don't ," I lied. "I never will."

I'm a terrible person for lying to him.

"Good. Cuz you shouldn't," he said.

I made Cayden some breakfast as he watched some cartoons.

"Kaylee!!" my brother called.

"Yeah?" I called back.

"Are Auntie Immy and Uncle Roger coming back today??" he asked as he walked into the kitchen and sat down for breakfast.

"Yeah," I said, then smiled. "After they get home they'll be taking you to see that new Spiderman movie, and then the arcade."

Cayden's eyes lit up like Christmas morning as he jumped up and down in his seat, me serving him his omelet.

At least that will get his mind off of last night.

It wasn't long until Aunt Imogen and Uncle Roger came home, Cayden was already dressed in black jeans, a Spiderman T-shirt, and black converse.

"Kaylee, pretty please come with us," Cayden begged as I buttoned up his coat.

"I'm sorry, Bubba, but I gotta go to this interview . But you have Aunt Imogen and Uncle Roger to take you to see The Amazing Spiderman 2 and play video games with," I said.

"But its no fun without you," he pouted.

I giggled. "I promise, we can hang out all day next time," I assured.

"Pinky promise?" he asked, holding out his pinky.

"Pinky promise," I said, wrapping my pinky finger around his.

I handed my uncle my car keys, since his car was having trouble on the way back home, so I'm just gonna walk. Its only a few blocks to

I grabbed my phone and house keys, purse, and coat, said bye, and left.

I couldn't stop thinking of Laughing Jack as I walked.

That clown... that God damned clown... he would have killed my baby brother if I never walked in or heard that dreaded song.

I was just glad I made it there on time, my brother would have been a human piñata.

But what was worse was the fact that the clown that would have even scared It the Clown himself into oblivion knows I self harm.

I sigh as I walked. I just hope I don't ever have to see that clown from hell ever again.