Chapter 2 - Orchids

Above the clouds, sitting across from each other, Illumi was looking out the window while his companion kept his eyes fixed on him. The magician was leaning forward on the simple table, delicately resting his chin on the palm of his hand. The assassin was perfectly still, with his hands settled on his thighs, straight back flushed on the back of the seat, only his head was turned towards the window. Hisoka sighed, once almost to himself, then again, loud.

“Are you bored?” Illumi asked without turning to face him. “Well yes, I am” his response was full of bitterness, after all it had been nearly an hour since boarding the ship and his dear Zoldyck hadn’t said a word to him. “Are you mad at me Illu?” Hisoka pouted.

“Hm?” Illumi finally turned his head and was now looking directly at the clown with his expressionless face. “Why would you think I am angry at you?”

“Well, you’ve been extremely cold to me lately”

“I have not acted in any different way towards you”

“Illu… you should speak to me, make small talk”

“Why should I do such thing?” he cocked his head in doubt.

“’Cause we’re friends”

“Assassins do not have friends”

Hisoka sighed in defeat, he knew his peculiar “friend” wasn’t easy to deal with, but he also noted his icy exterior had become somewhat colder. They’d known each other for over ten years now and even though they were never intimately close, he was actually missing the slight warmth Illumi used to treat him with.

He stood up and stretched his arms “Well, you still have to tell me everything about this mission, don’t you?”

Illumi knew he was being forced to engage in conversation and he wrinkled his nose a little. He wasn’t in the mood for chit-chat, after all, he had no news about his brother since the ryodan business and he was getting frustrated about it.

“Fine, I will tell you what father told me earlier” if there was a readable emotion behind those words, Hisoka guessed it was probably annoyance. “Wait, not here” Hisoka interrupted “Let’s go to the bar and grab drink”

“I do not think alcohol could be of much use right now”

“Aren’t you like immune to poison?”

“I am”

“Then what’s the harm? Think of it as whiskey flavored ice tea”

They sat on a small table on a dim corner, the waiter asked for their order and shortly returned with a bottle of whiskey and two glasses. Hisoka watch closely as his associate poured some liquor on his own glass. He noticed how Illumi’s hair shined with the warm lights.

Since both were on a rather secretive mission, they weren’t wearing their usual clothes. The assassin was almost completely dressed in black except for a forest green vest while the magician whore a red shirt and black dress pants, most of the traveling costumers would agree they were a sight for sore eyes.

Hisoka poured himself a glass of whiskey while his friend begun the report. “My father told me we should provide information about Killua’s whereabouts” he said with a calm voice. “We are not to force him to return with us by any means”