Chapter 5 - Breakfast

Chapter 5

French toast was the first thought to make its way into Illumi's mind the morning after Hisoka returned. He remembered how in his family's manor the staff would make special every meal and breakfast was no exception. He missed living there, where he was used to the surrounding area and, like it or not, among the people he held dear.

He sat up on the bed and even though he felt a little disappointed about not having his favorite breakfast waiting for him, he decided it was time to get up anyway. Fetching some casual but fitting clothes he walked into the bathroom and turned the how water on. After his shower, the whole room smelled like the almond conditioner he used on his hair. He realized that he even missed his own bathroom with stone walls and a giant bathtub, everything was smaller in the hotel. He couldn't pin down the exact name of the feeling he was experiencing, after all, it was his first time knowing what homesickness was like.

When he opened the door that led to the common area he could definitely smell Hisoka's scent but there was something else lingering along with the bubblegum cherry, something deep and welcoming. "cinnamon" he said almost to himself.

That was right, and the further he ventured into the room the more he knew what he was perceiving. The unmistakable scent of freshly made toast and the sweetness of sugar mixed with coffee. For a moment he wondered if he was still dreaming yet he knew it was impossible.

Although, what wasn't part of his mental picture was the clown sitting by the coffee table.

"Good morning stormy cloud," Hisoka said lifting his eyes from his phone to meet Illumi's. "Would you join me for breakfast?" he said while patting the carpet next to him.

"I am not hungry" the assassin lied and walked nonchalantly through the room to the desk where his laptop was.

"You say you're not hungry" the magician continued. "But I can feel you lusting for a hot bite" His voice low and his smile lewd, he insisted. He knew he'd caught his friend's attention. When Illumi turned around he could see his associate holding one french toast, wearing the most inviting look in his eyes. The Zoldyck decided that breakfast was, after all, the most important meal of the day and that assassins needed to eat too.

"I will eat what you are offering" he responded walking toward the clown, standing right where he was invited to sit before.

"Oh dear, if only that was a universal answer"

"What?"

"Nothing sweetheart, eat up"

Hisoka watched with intent as his dear friend took the piece of bread to his mouth. Those usually unexpressive but gorgeous lips which slowly parted to let the toast in. The assassin made almost no sound while he ate, yet Hisoka noticed how his eyebrows relaxed the tiniest bit and he could bet that a corner of that glorious mouth of his had the fleeting twitch of an ephemeral smile.

"Do you plan to stare at me the whole day?" Illumi asked, clearly annoyed.

"Would you let me?" the magician purred so close to his ear that Illumi could feel the breath of each word.

"Stop playing and start talking"

"You're no fun" Hisoka pouted and sat up straight. "Fine I'll tell you what my dear Chrollo told me"

The Zoldick's breath hitched, Hisoka had said -dear- along with the name of that filthy spider thief. Had he called him like that before? He wasn't sure but it made him angry and the most infuriating part was knowing that something so trivial was able to make him react like that.

And Hisoka noticed it. Oh, how he loved knowing that his dearest was jealous. His grin was spreading all across his face as he watched him fight against his feelings.