Chapter 10 - Desperate Measures

Nearly half an hour had passed after Illumi had called his brother and he was already at the central station of the city of Yorkshin. He wasn't sure what on earth had happened to Hisoka, but his last known location was the best place to start looking for clues. If this turned out to be a joke, the clown will regret having nerve endings, he thought. The reality was that, deep down, Illumi was still hoping it was all a big prank. That way, Hisoka would be fine, unharmed, and alive. Of course, he would pull something like this right when Illumi was starting to... appreciate his company. He wasn't even sure what force compelled him to go out of his way to find him; he knew Hisoka was strong, he could take care of himself. Yet, the assassin needed to be sure.

There were little to no clues left at the central station. Illumi noticed his friend's presence, lingering like an afterthought. Only someone as close to him like he was, would have felt that trace of treacherously sweet aura. But there was more. Illumi felt as if Hisoka's nen was flowing from an uncertain source so he decided to follow the trail.

The station was packed with travelers coming and going in every direction, crowded as always regardless of the time or the date. Like the expert he was, Illumi followed Hisoka's essence, like a deadly shadow walking unnoticed among strangers. His heart was pounding with the uncertainty of the unknown although his despair hadn't made its way to his stone-cold features.

The trail led him downstairs, deep within the bowels of the station, and he found himself stang outside a disheveled bathroom door. No sound was coming from the other side and he worried. A million possible scenarios arose in his strategic mind. Trying not to jump into conclusions he elbowed the door and stepped in, but there was nothing evident on the other side.

Hisoka's nen was definitely there though and he discovered where it was coming from after kicking a stall door open. A junky, probably homeless, passed out on the toilet seat, with Hisoka's phone hanging from his pocket. There was no way in hell that lanky young addict could have defeated the magician, that was out of the question. In that case, why? Illumi did not have time for deductions.

"Wake up," he said after slapping the man across his face. The unfortunate bastard opened his eyes to see Illumi's face staring at him up close. He panicked. His attempted scream found no way out of his throat when Illumi grabbed him by the throat.

"You have something that is not yours," Illumi said, his voice calm and almost cheerful. That poor fella had never seen someone like that before. He stopped squirming finally, dreading the man in front of him, and thinking it was a thief he fetched the little cash he had left in his pockets and handed it to him.

"I do not need your money." Illumi was growing impatient. "That cell phone you have, where did you get it?." He released the man's throat. "you better not try to outrun me," that threat was proven useful.

"I- I found it on the floor," he answered, shaking and stuttering every word. "I didn't know was yours, man, please take it," Illumi saw the purple hard case covered with rhinestones making a red heart. "It belongs to someone I hold dear."

"Whatever dude, just don't hurt me."

"Did you see the man who dropped it?"

"Yeah, flashy dude, red hair I saw him aight?"