Chapter 6 - Home

Home

Why didn't you mention it before? "Did you think that it was not important?" Illumi paused. "You didn't think? that's all you ever have to do and you even manage to ruin that"

"Oh snap!"

"You be quiet this is a family conversation"

"After all this time you still consider me a stranger? How rude" Hisoka pouted but his tantrum was blatantly ignored. His friend was having a heated conversation in which he reprimanded his younger brother and, Hisoka guessed, Milluki was as frightened as he could be.

He knew that the Zoldycks were messed up but he still felt slightly jealous of their dynamics. He wanted to experience what family, or even love felt like yet he was aware of the harsh reality. No matter how much or for how long he'd tag along with Illumi, he'd never be considered anything more than a stranger. He stood up and calmly retreated to his bedroom, Killua's whereabouts were in the open now, this society had come to an end. He would've dragged it forever if it was in his power, but he knew better than to provoke Illumi's anger when it came to his beloved brother.

By the time Illumi hung up his call, Hisoka had all his belongings inside his travel bag. Lucky for him, he always enjoyed traveling light. It was the best for making a quick exit, like the one he was about to make. He heard footsteps getting closer to his bedroom door so he readied himself for the encounter. "I have spoken to my brother and father... what exactly are you doing now?"

Illumi noticed the travel bag full and ready on the bed, which interrupted his train of thought. "I'm only getting ready to go, why?" Hisoka leaned in closer to him "longing for a goodbye kiss?"

"Stop playing around," he said as he walked right past him to the bag in question. "My father ordered my immediate return to the Mannor" his hand was absentmindedly touching the bright red fabric.

"Yes, I supposed that was coming" Hisoka rested his back against the door frame. "So... what's the problem?"

"My father will not allow any unnecessary guests in the house"

"I know"

"Then why are you getting ready to travel?"

Hisoka looked puzzled by the question, was his friend unaware of the future ahead? He decided to taunt him a little to see what was going on inside his cryptic mind. "Illu, sweetheart, you're aware that I don't live here, right?"

"yes"

"Then why would you think I could stay after you're gone?"

"I..." The assassin fell silent. Hisoka was dying to know what he wanted to say before refraining himself. "You what? you thought I'd stay here and wait for you?" Hisoka's laugh filled the air around them. "Oh darling, you'd love that, wouldn't you?"

"That is not what I..."

"Then what?" Hisoka walked straight to where his friend was standing. His golden eyes dug deep into Illumi's dark ones, his expression was uncharacteristically serious and relaxed. "I'll miss you too my dearest," he said and grabbed his travel bag without breaking that eye contact until the very last second.

"Tell Silva I say hello" were the last words the magician uttered right before leaving the room. Illumi was speechless. He didn't know what all that exchange was about. he said he'll miss him too but he wasn't sure if that was right. He felt something growing inside his chest, like an invisible hand griping his lungs. Of course, he wouldn't miss the clown, that was impossible. Right?

A few weeks had passed since that goodbye which was a little strange, to say the least, and Hisoka was back to his own self. He had returned to Heaven Arena and was accepting random fights just to have some fun and earn some money. His last encounter on the ring had been challenging yet exciting, a young man managed to cause serious damage to one of his arms but nothing that wouldn't heal easily. He thought about calling Macci to fix it but he didn't know how she would react to it. After all, he was a traitor to the spider now and she was a force of nature when mad.