Chapter 7 - Scars

When Illumi woke up, it took him a few seconds to realize why the ceiling looked so unfamiliar. He hadn't moved much from the stiff position in which he fell asleep in and the purple satin sheets were only ruffled on Hisoka's side of the bed. He was beyond uncomfortable with his current situation, after all, going to the clown for help had been a desperate move rather than a thoroughly thought decision.

Illumi noticed there was some unfamiliar sound making its way into the bedroom, some sort of music. He wasn't familiar with Hisoka's morning routine, not as a guest in his flat at least. He desperately needed a shower, a fact that became more obvious as soon as he checked himself on one of the many mirrors that covered the walls. His hair was a mess and his clothes were showing all the usual signs of having slept in them. He sighed from the depth of his soul as he tied his hair in a somewhat loose bun at the top of his head. He didn't know where the bathroom was or if there were any technical details he needed to know before opening the shower, so he decided to face the music, literally, and go to Hisoka for answers.

No sooner had he opened the door, that the smell of eggs and bacon had assaulted his nostrils levenging him a drooling mess. Although his stern face hadn't changed, Illumi realized that he couldn't remember the last time he'd had a proper meal. He followed the enticing scent through the hallway all the way to the open concept kitchen and dining room. Before arriving he remembered the scene at the hotel, that morning when Hisoka had waited for him with his favorite breakfast sitting by the coffee table. That had been desperately thoughtful and welcoming in a strange way. He couldn't help but wonder what scene would unfold right before his eyes this time. Had Hisoka made breakfast for him again? Was he waiting for him like before?

But all those guesses fell short. The assassin was rendered speechless by a clown stirring something in a frying pan, wearing nothing but boxer briefs and a pink apron, singing Leoncavallo's Pagliacci at the top of his lungs.

Illumi approached the phone which was the source of the music and turned it down though Hisoka wasn't surprised. "Leave it to a Zoldyck to ruin the best part of a masterpiece" he said without turning around. "Good morning to you too" replied the assassin. "Opera? really?"

"I see you have a problem with my music choices, what would you suggest instead?"

"Nothing"

"Come on, don't be shy, if you don't tell me what you like I won't be able to make you happy you know?" Hisoka's smile and lewd tone made it clear that he wasn't referring to background music at all.

"I mean nothing, literally. I do not listen to music"

Hisoka looked defeated as he turned around to fetch two plates. "You mean like, not ever?"

"yes" Illumi was glad Hisoka was serving breakfast for him as well, he wasn't sure how to ask and he had never cooked a single thing before.

"Walking or travelling?"

"It distracts me from my surroundings"

"Having a shower?"

"I meditate"

"While having sex?"

"Should I make some coffee?"

"No need, just sit there" Hisoka gestured to a seat by the kitchen island and then proceeded to fill two mugs with freshly made coffee.

Of course Hisoka noticed how his dear friend eluded his last question. Was it only because he felt uncomfortable with the subject? Or was he still a virgin? He'd known him for all those years yet he never heard anything about a partner of either sex. Not even a comment about liking someone. He knew all those questions were not going to be answered by the assassin, like everything related even remotely to emotions, this too was forbidden ground.