Chapter 6 (Nate)

I saw a girl at the bookstore 3 days ago. There was something about her that simply gravitated me towards her. She's not the prettiest, she not ugly either - she's simple, this kind of simple that oozes sweetness and makes your tooth hurt. She radiated when she walked into the shop, but when you look into her eyes, it tells a story - a story of pain and being broken. It somehow reminded me of Sophie, Nathan's Sophie. The vulnerability in her, her frail body and demeanor that makes you want to scoop her up and protect her fro every single possible thing that could harm her. 

I took the chance and recommended a book for her to read, she seemed to be looking for a book but did not quite know what she was looking for. She was lost. 

At some point in my life I too was lost. Maybe that's just the way life is meant to be lived - we need to live in being lost, because that is the thrill. The thrill of being discovered, the thrill of discovering and most especially the journey to be found is indeed an adrenaline rush. 

I talked to her a bit, she seemed to be taken aback by my forwardness - I didn't mean to, but something in me just told my gut I had to approach her. I did not plan to such a stalker type that made her scared of me. But eventually she took the bait, took the book and bought it. It was one of my favorites, I hope she likes it too. 

On my way home, I can't really take her off my mind. Can't help but wonder will I ever see her again, but I need to be ready to start a good conversation. Perhaps the book was a good start. 

When I arrived at the apartment, I looked at the mail box and saw another letter. The handwriting was the same as the one prior to it, it definitely came from Sophie. Nathan hasn't passed by the apartment for this week, his mail is still stacked at the table near the entrance - there Sophie's first letter lies, broken, cried over, and yet not even opened by the man whom she gave the letter to. The letter in all aspects was still rejected. 

I thought for a second if I should open her letter or not. I hesitantly, and slowly opened it. There were no tear stains this time - her letter seemed firm, her tone different but still the brokenness still lingered. You know a letter when it comes from the heart, your words will simply flow without you even trying so hard - this letter was one of those. Unrehearsed, raw and simply straight to what she wanted to say. 

"Oh Sophie." I sighed to myself "I'm sorry for reading your letters without you even knowing it" I added.