Chapter 7

There's a lot of sweet treats in front of me and I want to eat them,
Dad said" Now, you can't call yourself a connoisseur if you have not sampled each and every one of these. Here." He held out something for us to bit, Hope bit first and then I did,
We said" Mm, it's so good!"
" Did I ever tell you the story of my first beignet?" We shook our heads,
" No. You are in for a treat." He put us down onto the chair as he stood up, and turned around," Long ago, three French nuns came to New Orleans looking for a fresh start. And they came here. They marched right into our courtyard, and they presented your uncle Elijah and me with these rather lumpy-looking, sugar-coated pastries. Well, needless to say, we were entranced. We set them up quite well."
Hope said" Why did they come to you?"
" Because there was a time when we were regarded as royalty. You might even go so far as to say I was king, which would make you two princesses."
Then Mom came in, she said" Good morning." She kissed my head then hope's," I guess apple turnover is fruit."
" Well, I saw no harm in indulging our daughters' sweet tooth. All things in moderation, of course."
" Okay, well, don't eat too many. You'll get a stomach ache." she looked at dad," Can we talk?" They walked away from us, I looked at Hope, then grabbed one of the treats, I looked at it then handed it to her,
She said" I'm trying to first, aren't I?"
I said" Yes." She bit into it and handed it to me, I bit it and then scrunched up my face." I don't like it." She smiled, I swallowed the treat and then stuck out my tongue.

We walked into the room, out of our room, I said" Mom?"
She said" Faith, Hope. I didn't see you there, sweeties."
" Uncle Elijah is sick, isn't he?" Mom walked to the end of the bed and sat down,
" Uncle Elijah is very sick."
" Well, can we help him?"
" We're doing everything that we can. I promise."
" Maybe we can help aunt Freya do a spell to make him better."
" That's very brave of you two."
We hugged her.

We were playing Jacks with Keelin. She said" Alright, it's been a while since I played."
Hope said" You just bounce the ball, pick up the jacks. That's it." She did that,
" Okay, I'll try." She did and it was good, I went next and picked up jacks," Nice one." Once she went again, she didn't get any," Wow. Really?" Hope and I giggled," Kind of. Kind of got it."
We said" Yep. Now, try again."
We felt something and looked at the doorway, but saw nothing, We went back to playing with Keelin.

We heard our dad and Freya in the other room, I looked at Hope then got up, we walked to the room, holding hands. We saw Freya then a necklace, Hope and I said" What is that?"
Mom said" Hope, Faith, oh. Go back to bed, sweeties, I'll be there in a second." She grabbed Hope's hand, trying to pull us back but we walked to Freya and I put my hand on her shoulder. We heard uncle Elijah, but he sounded so far away, Freya opened her eyes and looked at us,
She said" Did you see that? Did you feel it?"
Hope and I said" Uncle Elijah. He sounds so far away."
Mom said" He's in there. You heard him, right?"
Aunt Freya said" Yes, I heard him. He's somewhere inside, but..."
Dad said" But what?"
" His voice sounds distorted, broken, like radio static and I just heard... his screaming." Hope and I looked at the necklace, closer.