Chapter 9

Hope and I were looking out the window, we said" The Hollow, she's getting stronger."
Our dad said" You can sense her?"
" When we first got here, there was always music outside, people dancing, laughing. But since she came back, it's so quiet. Like she's draining everything out of the city. She already took Uncle Elijah. And soon she will come for the rest of us." We walked to our dad, he crouched down in front of us,
" Listen, Hope, Faith, I know you're scared. But over the years, a lot of bad people have stood against our family, and all of them have fallen. The Hollow is no different."
" No, she is different."

Mom turned to us, We said" We don't want to." We had to give our blood to our mom so we could get uncle Elijah back.
Mom said" Are you scared it's gonna hurt?"
" We're scared if we do this, you're gonna pick a fight. And the Hollow, she can hurt you."
" I know you're both scared. I wish we didn't have to have this conversation. When I was your age, I had to deal with a lot of things that I didn't want to deal with either. I didn't want that for you, but here we are. The thing is, sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do because you're the only one that can do them."
" Like you."
" Like me."
" Okay." We held out our fingers, and the she stuck the pins into our fingers, I closed my eyes.

Mom left with Aunt Freya, and Dad left to go get Aunt Rebekah. Hope and I are pacing back and forth, I was holding my teddy bear in my arms while Hope was holding a bunny. Uncle Kol came to the doorway, saying" Hey, buddies."
We said" Are our mom and dad back?"
" Not quite." He walked to us and crouched down," Hey, you know what I used to do, when I was bored at your age? Magic." He held up a knot, we looked at him.
" We're not supposed to do magic with strangers."
" What? I-I'm family."
" So why did you go away?"
" I went away because I was sad. And I thought I'd never be happy again. And I didn't want to make everybody that I loved around me sad, too." He smiled at us, we put our toys down and took the knot from him, I tilted my head, looking at it while patting it.
Hope and I said" If we untie this knot your girlfriend will be free from the Hollow?"
Uncle Kol said" I hope so."
" And you really love her?"
" Yes. Kind of like your mom loves, uh..."
" Uncle Elijah."
" You two are miraculously well-adjusted." We took off our bracelets, and Hope held one end while I held the other." Alright. Focus on the knot, luvs. It's very important, and I'll be right back." Then he got up and left, I looked at Hope as we focused on the knot.
The knot lifted up out of our hands, we smiled, as the knot started to untie. The knot finally untied and we both fell to the ground.

Hope was up, looking at herself in a mirror, I was in bed, my blanket pulled over my face. I heard my dad say" I saw the light under your door. Your mother told me she tucked you in."
Hope said" I don't like to sleep when things are happening. You woke Elijah."
" Yes. And he's very excited to see you and Faith. In the morning, hmm? There's nothing to worry about anymore, okay?"
" You didn't punish Kol."
" Well... he's family."
" And we protect family. Like you and mom are my protectors, right?"
" Always and Forever. Tomorrow, I'm going to show you and your sister everything I love about New Orleans. The music, the dancing, the art. After all, princesses ought to know their kingdom. Good night, sweetheart."
" Good night." I heard his footsteps walk to my side,
" Good night, sweetheart."
I mumbled" Good night." Then he turned out the light and walked out the door, I turned over and fell asleep.