Øne

I stood silently next to my best friend, Charlie Conway, shuffling my weight back and forth as I got antsy. I hate having to stand still. It is truly impossible for me to actually stand still.

"Please welcome to the podium, the head coach and leader of The Mighty Ducks, Gordon Bombay."

"Thank you. It's a great honor to be here today to introduce you to a truly great group of kids. Sure they can be a little rambunctious, and run me ragged and play more than a fair share of their pranks-"

I tried not to snicker remembering the time Charlie, Luis and I taped an air horn to his desk chair so when he sat down it went off.

"I still haven't forgotten about those eggs. But I hung in there and they hung in there for me. We became The Quack Attack, The Fly V, and The Bash Brothers. I've never had a better time. These kids are winners, each and every one of them, but more than that these are good people. I hope they enrich and enliven your lives in the way they have mine. Now I hand you over to the capable hands of my old biology teacher and the current head master of Eden Hall, Dean Buckley. Dean."Coach spoke into the microphone.

Blah blah blah, scholarships, blah blah blah. I get to move finally, I've been standing here for half an hour, I gotta sit down. Coach pulled Charlie aside and I went to sit with everyone else. I took a seat in between Luis and Connie.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Goldberg asked.

"I'm sure he'll tell us when he gets back." I said.

Charlie and I have known each other since we were 3. Our mothers hang out a lot. We didn't actually become friends until we found out that we both liked to play hockey. What really kicked off our friendship was when Banks picked on me for being a girl hockey play. Jokes on him now, but at the time I sucked. I didn't even know how to skate. Now I skate circles around him, sometimes literally just to mess with him, and it's all thanks to Coach and Charlie. Charlie stuck up for me though and that's why we are inseparable and we're on the same hockey team; that and we live a block away from each other.

"Coach isn't gonna be our coach anymore!" Charlie huffed sitting next to Banks and Dwayne.

"What!?" Everyone yelled in unison.

"He's handing us over to some Coach Orion. The Junior Goodwill Games Committee named him Director of Player Personnel."

***

"I can't believe Coach Bombay isn't going to be our Coach anymore." I sighed.

I was staying the night at Charlie's so his mom could drop us off at the alley way to gather everyone up. I was really nervous about going to this school. Charlie on the other hand wasn't phased, he actually wanted to go minus the fact that Bombay dumped us.

"Me either Hayes." Charlie leaned back letting his body hit the bed.

I sat on the edge of his bed and just looked at him. Coach Bombay has been there for Charlie since we were ten and he leaves him the first chance he gets. It's not like when he went to play for the Minor League, we knew he would come back now we're not so sure.

"I tried to get him to stay."

"I know you did Charlie. We'll be okay."