Twenty

It was only Tuesday and I'm already tired after the game on Friday. Coach has us running, well skating, around the rink like chickens. He was watching over their game tapes studying their every move especially ones that were repetitive.

"Alright I've been doing my homework on Varsity, and I'm not gonna lie to you, they're good. The way they wiped your faces into the dirt last time was no fluke. So if you want your pride back you better be willing to work." Coach told us. He had us warm up a bit more and he had us finish with grape vines and laps. He blew his whistle and we all gathered around him.

"They're vultures around the net, they pick up every piece of loose trash." Coach Orion said. There was a trash can next to him that he brought over from the beside the doors to the rink. "That's how they beat you, not with the first shot, the second or third. They bang in the junk. So if you wanna win," He picked it up and dumped the garbage onto the ice. "You're gonna have to pick up the trash." We all started hitting the trash into the goals. There was bagels, wrappers and boxes all over the place. It was kind of disgusting but we all had fun. The next day Coach had us put on our rollerblades and we skated around campus picking up trash on the street too. Once campus was clean we got back on the ice and did some drills. Orion blew on his whistle we all stopped and looked at him.

"Come on, let's go. Get over here, take a knee!" He yelled. We skated over to him and kneeled down on the ice. "You guys are not skating like warriors! You look like something else."

"What?" Connie asked me. I shrugged.

He went and grabbed a box and carried it out onto the ice. He opened it and smiled at us. "You look like Ducks." He pulled a Duck jersey from the box. "Robertson." He tossed the shirt to Dwayne and pulled out another shirt. He called out our names as he grabbed our jersey and tossed it to us. We formed a circle in the center of the rink and chanted as we skated. "Quack. Quack. Quack. Quack. Quack. Quack."

We all settled down eventually and Coach told us practice was over and that we didn't have practice tomorrow. He wanted us to rest for Friday's game.