Twelve

We were all sitting at our usual lunch table. I was still a little mad at Charlie so I sat near the end of the table next to Luis. We were all carrying on our own little conversations when Varsity walked up to us.

"Hey, congrats on the Blake game." Riley said.

"Yeah right, we tied." Charlie said.

"Hey a points a point. We're all warriors now. You guys proved your guts. You all set for dinner Friday?"

"Dinner?" Russ wondered.

"It's an Eden Hall tradition. Varsity got to treat the Freshmen to dinner. So round up your pose and meet us at six at the Minnesota Club downtown. If anybody needs a ride we can take you. I mean, you guys do like steak and seafood right."

"Yeah we do." Charlie said.

"I don't like you pukes alright, but this is a tradition. At Eden Hall you learn to care about tradition." Cole said them walked away with everyone else.

"It's cool." Banks said.

We all looked at each other and agreed.

"Banks says it's cool." Guy remarked.

"Alright. I'm down." I said.

***

This place looked fantastic, there was a long table with candles in the middle of the room. It was bigger than my house. We all looked around mesmerized.

"Waiter I-I've got too many forks, I only need one. Y'all? What's this little bitty one for?" Dwayne giggled.

I looked over at Luis who was staring at me. His beautiful brown eyes were hypnotizing, the longer I looked at them the more they consumed me. I got knocked back into reality by Banksie, it was my turn to order. We all ordered our food and began eating. A ton of side conversations erupted.

"So how are you liking varsity so far Adam?" I asked.

"It's okay. I miss you guys."

"We all miss you too."

"I bet Charlie doesn't. He's probably too caught up with Linda." Banks murmured.

"I wouldn't know, he still isn't talking to me."

"So it's him that's still mad and not you?" Luis asked.

"Yeah. Charlie and I fight all the time but we never stay mad at each other for too long."

"This all feels different though."

"Different how?" I questioned.

Adam looked at me in disbelief. I just stared back at him clueless.

"What he said to you."

"Oh, that, right." Luis placed his hand on my thigh and gently rubbed it with his thumb. "Can we talk about something else?"

"Anything you want Hayes."

I thought for a moment while finishing my potatoes.

"Are you mad at us for freezing your clothes?"

"No." He chuckled. "It's only fair. I am on varsity now, right. No special treatment."

I peered over and saw Charlie talking to Riley. He was being friendly, too friendly. Luis lightly squeezed my thigh. I looked at him and he appeared to be annoyed by something. I followed his gaze to a varsity member who was smirking at me. He was starting to make me feel uncomfortable. Riley whispered something to Banks and then he stood up tapping his water glass.

"On behalf of the Eden Hall, warrior, varsity, state championship hockey team, I'd like to welcome the future state champs, the Eden Hall freshman. Here, here." He said taking a sip of his water.

"Here, here." Everyone repeated clinging our glasses with people around us a few times before taking a sip.

"We're just glad you loaned us Banksie so that we'd have a chance at beating you guys at the annual freshman, varsity showdown. Now, nobody move, we've got one last surprise. Fellas."

Everyone on the varsity team got up and started walking out of the dinning room. Adam didn't get up at first.

"Banksie." Riley spoke.

Adam gave me a sincere look them got up and followed them with his head down.

"Guys I didn't want to spoil anything but I over heard something in the bathroom. It's a cake. Act surprised." Guy said.

In came the cake, it was a three tier cake with white frosting and blue icing writing something out on the cake.

"What is that? Oh." Connie rejoiced.

"Oh they are too kind." Charlie smiled.

Once the cake got closer we were able to read what it said.

"Thanks for dinner, losers!?" Goldberg grumbled.

The waiter handed Charlie the bill. He opened it and his face dropped.

"Eight hundred and fifty seven dollars." He looked like he was about to be sick.

"Where are we gonna get that kind of cash?" Goldberg questioned.

"If you don't have any money you all will just have to work until it's payed off." The waiter smiled.

"Oh man." I complained.

Julie and Dwayne cleaned dishes,Connie and Goldberg clean the bathrooms, Charlie and Averman cleared the table we ate at, Gus and Kenny vacuumed the rug, Guy, Luis and I tidied up the perimeter of the room. We wiped down the windows and pictures, cleaned the curtains, stuff like that.

"We gotta respond." Charlie said.

"Physics." Averman told him. "Each action requires and equal if not bigger reaction."

"Hey man, be cool. I don't wanna mess up my scholarship. I mean let not get caught." Gus smiled.

A/N- I'm sorry it took me FOREVER to write this. I don't even have an excuse really other than I was working and watching Shameless. I'm working on the next chapter right now. Did anyone miss me? Or even notice I was gone lol?