Fourteen

Marcelo

They stared at me with lifeless eyes, or at least they would be if there were any eyes in their sockets at all. I curled up against the corner of the small room that the Undertaker locked me in. The door was made of skulls. The skulls acted like guards daring me wutg soulless eyes to come close to attempt to escape. But what is the use? As much as I want to believe in Asher and the others I knew there was little time to both find me and Uncle Eren.

Like the Undertaker said the catacombs was a maze and I had no doubt in my mind that he rigged the tunnels with traps. He is the chess player and we are the pieces on the board.

Staring at the skull door I noticed that a few skulls were not in the same position as the rest which was hozizontal. These were set diagonally. They didn't quite fit in the places they were in either. Standing up I take a closer look. I wonder. Pulling one the skulls out I look at its shape. It looked too misshaped to be a human skull, in fact it wasn't. I had heard of animals that somewhat resembled humans but not identically. I believe Daddy called them Apes or monkeys. The skull I held had a long face, a wide nose and a bit of a narrow point at the back of its head. It had long sharp canines and a few missing teeth causing shivers to travel down my spine.

Taking another smaller one out from a bigger space I set the larger one in its place. I heard a Clicking sound from inside the door. Smiling triumphantly I repeat the attention with the others until the door unlocks to reveal a long hallway. But from what I could tell from where I stood there was no escape because at the end there were dead ends.

I let out a frustrated groan. Now what? I lean against the opposite wall only to fall backwards onto my butt. Looking up confused I found that I was in another corridor. Feeling the now closes wall I found a small button in the shape of ,guess what, a skull. I start to feel for the familiar shape and when I do it mirrors the  position of the opposite wall.

It's like playing dominoes! For the past three hidden doors there had been no sudden change. The only change were the halls always shorter or longer and curved or straight. Indeed I was going through the maze with no problem meaning I should run into Asher soon. The thought of finding Asher made my heart leap with joy and determination. I'm on my way Asher!

Asher

Hall after hall, step by step, trap after ducking trap I just wanted to pull my hair out from the frustration building up inside me. Hours had past since we started our mission to get through this bony maze. Turns out the Undertaker must be a sadist or something because each hall we went through was suddenly rigged with either poisioness darts or pits with spikes at the bottom. And every time I could literly see my dads patience wearing thin.

I knew my dad was just as ticked off just as I was but for his emotions to leak through, you best stay clear of him before his fuse blows. I've only seen it once before years before I could walk and the memory itself sends violent shivers up my spine.

"Levi we'll find them." Uncle Erwin assured but his words doesn't sooth dads building rage.

"I know we will. We have to! And when I find that sick bastard he'll be begging for death to take his ugly soul as I break every bone in his body nice and slow." What did I tell ya? Scary as hell. And I thought Mom was bad.

I try to be more level header and calm but I felt rage and need to spill blood, the Undertakers blood.

Hours felt like a eternity. My feet began to ache and the need rest but we all pushed forward. Suddenly the sound of a wall nearby cracks open. Dad and my uncle get ready for another effortless fight but what comes out was Marcelo!

"Marc!" I don't hesitate to engulf my angel into my arms.

"Ash! Uncle Levi! Erwin! The tunnels have hidden keys to opening secret passages." Marcelo tells us about the small symbols on the walls. Everyone starts to searching for any more along the walls and flooring.

I decided to step back to look at the ground when I tripped over a stone. The stone and those around it were cut in a thin line and the shape of a square. A hidden trap door?

"Hey Dad!" I call dad over pointing out the door.

He and Uncle Erwin try to pry it open but with no luck. I thin notice small roman numbers at the corners of four squares.

I.was in the upper left corner. I press it. Nothing. Knocked it went further into the floor. Okay now we're getting somewhere. II. at the bottom right, I knocked two times. Again went further into the ground. I do this two more times until the door pops open enough for dad to peer it fully open to reveal a spiral staircase.

"He's down there."Dad says.

"Well lets not keep Eren waiting."Erwin says grabbing a torch from the nearby wall to lead through the darkness.

I take Marcelo's hand in a tight grip. He grips back with a determined nod. We're coming mom just hang on a bit longer.