Chapter Five

Nox knew they were getting close, he could sense the Elemental up ahead. Shade ran beside him cloaked in darkness. Nox stopped suddenly and began to look around, he could sense the Elemental nearby but something was bugging him. They had now run into a darker part of the forest, the thick canopy had blocked out most of the light that come from the large round moon that watched over them. Little noise came from the now sleeping forest, nocturnal creatures scurried about the ground making the occasional rustling sound.

“Why did you stop?” Shade asked appearing next to him.

“Does this feel familiar to you?” Nox asked back.

“In what way?”

“I don't know, something about what we are doing here seems so familiar, like we've done this exact thing before.” Nox explained.

“I don't feel anything different. I just know that if we keep standing here, we will lose our target, and Sirius will not be happy with us. Now come on.”

“No, something will happen if we continue. You can't sense it because you're not attune with this sort of thing. We need to head back, forget about this Elemental,” Nox suggested as he stared ahead.

“What is wrong with you, Nox?” Shade asked, forcing herself into his sight. “I didn't know you were a weakling, afraid of the unknown. I'm more scared of what Sirius will do to us if we go back empty handed.”

“Look, Shade, I'm all with Sirius for killing off the humans, but something about this seems wrong.”

“Good luck facing Sirius then, I'm going to go after this guy whether you're with me or not,” Shade stated before turning back into a shroud and heading off.

“Shade! Stupid girl,” Nox growled before chasing after her.

***

Ash awoke with a startle, his ears shot up and his eyes opened, he looked around to see that Tsubaki and Jinx had already left the Med Bay. An alarm sounded and Voltier quickly appeared in the doorway.

“Volt, what's going on?” He asked.

“One of Sirius’ group has been spotted outside the city walls, the humans have seen him too and are planning their own attack. Tsubaki wants us all in the Commander Centre now, he and the General are trying to keep the humans calm and he wants us on and just in case things go badly,” Voltier explained.

“What happened with Tsubaki and Jinx?”

“Oh they're fine,” Cookie explained as she walked over to him. “As are you, you're injuries are all healed thanks to the power of Light.”

“Thanks Cookie,” Ash yelled as he and Volt ran down the hallway towards the central Command Centre. Voltier led Ash to a large open room separated from the rest of the facility, the room was dark with a large floor to ceiling screen on the back wall. There was a central podium in the middle of a raised platform which would usually be used as an aerial view of whatever mission they would be on. Animals filled the room with Tsubaki and the General standing at the front. Ash spied Aylin amongst the few other Elementals.

“Where's Glaziel?” Ash asked.

“She's off training with Jinx,” Voltier answered. “Now be quiet, Tsubaki is about to speak.”

“Attention, at 0900 our cameras picked up one of Sirius’ cronies prowling around the west wall,” Tsubaki explained as an aerial image of a red wolf walking in and out of the trees. “We believe that the elemental in question is Elynxis, we have no idea why he's here but we have suspicions that they have found our base. We all need to be on the lookout for anything suspicious, anyone acting suspicious. If you see anything out of the ordinary please report it to me or the General, do not engage. You all have your missions, get to it. Ash, Voltier, can I speak with the two of you alone? That is all, dismissed.”