Chapter Seventeen

“What's the plan boss?” Jinx asked as he fired off another Icicle at an incoming Fireball.

“We fight, I'll handle my family, the rest of you need to get the rogues away from the humans. Do whatever you can to take them down and protect the humans, Ash, A’rien, and Anarchy know the way to the old base if you feel the need to go there to fight. But don't take on a rogue alone, do it in pairs and you're more likely to succeed. Understood?” Tsubaki ordered.

“Yes Tsubaki,” they all said at once.

“Volt, you with me?” Jinx asked as they began to charge down the stairs leading to the city.

“You know it,” Voltier replied. “What's the plan?”

“We head to the residential sector, save as many people as we can while taking down any and all Rogues.”

“Sounds good, let's do it.”

The two of them leapt over the final run of stairs and bounded towards the part of the city with large stone buildings, most of which were on fire. They ran past screaming humans, each of which they told to get to the other city.

As they made their way round another corner, the earth shook beneath them, Voltier looked at Jinx with a worried look, one that they both shared. A large stone water fountain sat in the middle of the sector, Jinx and Voltier walked past it, on the lookout for any Rogues. Jinx made the move to take a sip from it, as he knelt over the water he noticed something in its reflection. With a quick leap backwards he managed to avoid getting pulverized by a large mechanical worm as it dived for him from above, smashing the fountain and sending water flying as it went underground.

“What was that?” Jinx asked.

“That was something only a trouble making panther can do, stay on guard,” Voltier replied.

“How did you miss such an easy shot?” A voice echoed through the sector. “He was standing right there.”

“Don't yell at me, Shade,” another voice added “You try controlling a thousand pound worm.”

“Come out and fight, Nox. Or are you too much of a fraidy cat?” Volt yelled.

“What you call being afraid, I call fighting smart. See if I'm not visible, then you can't hurt me. And I can let my worm kill you both, without me ever lifting a finger,” Nox stated. His worm erupted out of the ground and began to coil around a nearby building, destroying it's insides and crushing its walls as it coiled in and out of the building. It's mouth was filled with razor sharp spinning blades and it's body was lined with blade like spines. The worm reared it's head before charging at them, Voltier and Jinx managed to jump out of the way as the worm burrowed its way back into the ground.

“We need to find the two of them,” Jinx began. “Then the worm would just disappear right?”

“I don't think so, when Ash and Tsubaki fought this thing earlier, Nox was able to control it while fighting his own fight, I think we need to take all three down at once,” Voltier replied.

The ground shook as the worm moved about beneath them, creating a series of tunnels and displacing the earth around them. Voltier suddenly fell as the ground concaved around him, he fell on his back into sticky mud, coating his fur in it.

“Are you okay down there?” Jinx yelled from above.

“Yeah I'm fine, just try and find Nox before he finds me down here,” Voltier replied.

The shook around him as he tried to figure out where the worm would be coming from, the ground was practically torn up with tunnels, there was no way the worm would catch him off guard. A sudden shake caused him to turn left and see the metallic worm beginning to cool around the outside of the hole, ever getting closer and closer. Voltier tried to step backwards but walked into the wet ground.