CHAPTER 24

As soon as I descended the stairs at the back of the club, hearing the music getting louder with every step, I felt my troubles slip away. It was like I was stepping out from underneath a great weight, finally able to spread my wings and be free.
"It's already pretty busy," A voice behind me chimed up happily.
I turned in time to see Dee-Ann strutting along the hall, coming from the private lounge. Her long, cherry-black hair was set in bouncy curls, the colour going lovely against the deep plum shade of her lacy lingerie.
"So I see," I nodded, peering through the door by the bar, and spotting the crowded main floor.
She gave me a brief hug, then proceeded to follow me to the dressing room, giving me the low-down on the guy she'd just danced for.
After a few minutes, she had to leave, ready to go back out onto the stage, taking over from Aria, leaving me alone once more. I'd just finished changing and was standing before the mirror, attempting to adjust the strap on my bra from the new lingerie set I'd bought, when a shadow behind me made me whirl around.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you jump," Charlie said gently.
"It's okay," I replied quietly.
For a few seconds, I stood completely still, unable to move. I'd been avoiding being alone with Charlie ever since returning to work after what had happened between us. Clearing my throat, I turned back to the mirror, occupying myself with the stubborn catch on the back of my strap.
"Let me help," He offered.
Before I could bring myself to refuse him, he was there, his fingers delicately sweeping my hair away from my back, before tenderly working on the catch. I inhaled sharply as he brushed against my skin. I caught his eye in the mirror, watching the way his gaze wandered hungrily over every inch of my body. His fingers slipped out from beneath the strap, slowly skimming across my back, tracing down my spine and sending tremors coursing through me. I knew I should tell him to stop, but when his blue eyes met mine in the mirror, he stole my breath away, and the words refused to form. It was only when he dipped his head and placed a kiss against my shoulder that I was able to snap myself out of my daze and slam on the breaks.
"No," I said in a panic jumping out of the way, "I already told you before, I'm with Ross."
"I know," He sighed with resignation, his eyes closing as he rubbed his fingers along his forehead.
"Then please, don't put me in this position," I pleaded, feeling unsettled by the small piece of me that had actually wanted to allow him to continue.
"I'm sorry," He said firmly, heading to the bar and grabbing a whiskey bottle. "I just couldn't help it," He poured a glass and then downed it, helping himself to another as if for courage as he faced me and burst out: "There's something between us, and I can't stop thinking about you. I know I said I'd give you space, but you're all I've been able to think about ever since that night. And seeing you here, seeing you dancing for everyone else it's just making me crazy."
I was at a loss for what I could possibly say to make it better. I was the one who'd led us down this path. It was me who was in a relationship in the first place. Now I'd fucked up my relationship with my boss, the one person with the power to throw me out of my little sanctuary I'd found here. I needed my job, I needed the money, and more than anything, I needed the feeling that I got from being here.
Charlie chucked back the next glass, then with a flatter tone than I'd ever heard him use before, he excused himself, pausing at the door long enough to tell me one last thing:
"You're up next."
I waited in the wings off the side of the stage, determined to put what just happened out of my mind. This wasn't the time or the place for my mind to be tied up elsewhere. This was my time to be free and to enjoy myself. I couldn't... I wouldn't, allow it to be ruined by a mistake that I'd made when I was feeling at my lowest. I could find a way to patch things up with Charlie another time. But right now, I would prove that I deserved to be here and that regardless of anything happening off stage, I could do my job well.
When I finally stepped out, I pulled out all the stops to make it the most memorable performance yet. I took all of the risks that I could, channelling the things which could hold me back, into things that would spur me on instead. I challenged myself with pole manoeuvres that I was only just learning and threw caution to the wind as I teased the gathered patrons and raked in the tips. By the time that I left the stage, I felt incredible. My entire body was tingling with excitement and desire for more. The attentive eyes of the men around me followed me from the stage, and I hadn't even had time to pour myself a drink out back before I was being summoned to my first private dance of the evening.
I could see the shadow of a man inside the booth as I neared it, and when I finally walked inside, I was pleasantly surprised by the impressively handsome man sitting on the couch before me, immaculately dressed in a crisp white shirt and black suit trousers, a deep blue tie hanging slightly loosely from his neck.
"You look even more beautiful up close," He said flirtatiously, his hazel eyes sweeping over me.
"I can get much closer than this," I teased, drawing nearer, and pausing just before reaching his lap.
He wore a bright smile as I started the music up and began to move. There was a small approving groan from him as he adjusted his position and bit his lip, his gaze darkening with each passing second. I gave a small tug of his tie, earning a light chuckle as I climbed into his lap, grinding against him, feeling his hands now beginning to wander up the backs of my thighs, getting closer to my ass. Pressing my chest forward, I unhooked my bra and slowly let it fall from my breasts, feeling a twitch beneath me as he hardened in response.
"Oh my-" He breathed, biting his lip as I thrust my hips against him and took his hands in my own.
I led his touch slowly over my shoulders and my breasts, revelling in the effect it had on him and the power I had to give him more or draw a firm line. As the music began its crescendo, I drew his hands lower, this time rising to my knees as I allowed them to settle above the waist of my underwear. Still rocking my body to every beat, I hooked my thumbs below the edge of the fabric and watched his reaction with awe as, together, we slid my panties slowly down my thighs.