CHAPTER 7

Charlie had added me to the rota the following night, and I couldn't pretend that I wasn't nervous. I'd spent the day scouring for auditions again, not making it to any, but pencilling down some promising ones for the next few days. By the time that I got changed, my nerves had turned my stomach into a huge knot. I'd never worked in a place like the Platinum Rose before. Though the place was clearly upmarket, I feared the customers to an extent. Having seen how some of them were watching the dancers, like prey under the beady eye of a menacing predator. I was intimidated by the idea of working in such close proximity to them. I'd kept it brief when I'd informed Ross of my job. Keeping it strictly factual, that it was a waitressing job at a club. Though he wasn't the type of man to tell me what I could and couldn't do, I knew that he wouldn't like the idea of me working in such a place. And given the distance between us, I saw no reason to rock the boat by telling him.
"Well, there may be no pole involved," I remarked, straightening my uniform, "But he wasn't very honest about the near similar amount of clothing."
I looked at my reflection where my breasts were practically bulging out the top of my low cut shirt, and the end of my tiny skirt which sat way too far up my thighs. Teamed with the killer heels, I certainly looked the part of a strip club worker.
"Too late to go back now," I sighed, casting my eye to the newest stack of bills that had arrived that morning.
Scooping my purse and keys up from the kitchen table, I grabbed my phone from the counter, noting the message alert on my screen.
Good luck with your first night, I'm sure you'll do great, you always do! Let me know when you get home, stay safe. I love you!! Xxx
I smiled as I re-read Ross's message several times.
"I wish you were here," I muttered under my breath.
With a quick glance to the clock, I dove out of the door, taking the steps as quickly as I could in the heels I was wearing, and tapping out a reply to quite possibly the best boyfriend in the world as I went.
I met Charlie and the others in the back room, where he introduced me to the other staff that I'd be working alongside, then directed my attention to the dancers who were working that evening. They were all dressed in black satin robes with PR printed on the chest in the same scripture style that was on their billboard. I gave a small nod to each of them in turn as Charlie introduced them, starting with the blonde that I'd seen the night before:
"This is Crystal," He said before moving on to the woman beside her, whose ash blonde hair shone almost silvery, "Asa," He then directed me to the last woman, "And Dee-Ann. There are a few more girls coming in later, you can meet them then."
The last woman rose a hand in a small wave before tucking her cherry-black hair behind her ears.
"Nice to meet ya," She said happily.
"Welcome to the family," Asa added with a small chuckle, "As slightly dysfunctional as we all are."
"Speak for yourself, Madam," Charlie replied snarkily, not looking up from the clipboard he'd just plucked from the table. "Right, you three are all on the main stage tonight, Crystal you're up first, then Dee-Ann you're taking over, followed by Asa. I need one of you to work the left bar until Tilly gets here, and then we'll open up the right bar when Danni finally turns up."
"I'll do it," Dee-Ann offered with a shrug.
"Perfect, thanks."
It was clear from the respectful way they interacted with him, that Charlie was well-liked by his employees. Throughout him listing tonight's lineup, duties and general workplace chit chat, he kept the mood upbeat, laughing and joking with everyone and even playfully wrestling with Crystal as she fought for the clipboard when he pretended to switch her with the right bar for the entire night. When he finally left for the office, giving me a reassuring pat on the shoulder, I was already beginning to feel like one of the gang.
The bar staff and waitresses left the room after him, and I made to follow, when a voice called out behind me, drawing my attention back to the dancers.
"Didn't fancy joining us on stage then?" Asa asked, shedding the silk robe that she'd been wearing, and straightening the straps on her beautifully detailed black, lace bra.
"No," I said with a nervous laugh. "There's no way I could pull that off."
"That's ridiculous," Crystal chimed in, pouring herself a shot of vodka behind the minibar. "You're hot! Beautiful bone structure and an amazing body, you'd have the punters drooling all over the stage."
"That's for sure," Dee-Ann said boldly, lifting herself to sit on the bar and stealing the shot Crystal had just poured.
I watched as she downed it and Crystal shoved her playfully, rolling her eyes then refilling the glass, swatting Dee-Ann's hand away as she made to accept that one too.
"Thanks," I said appreciatively, "To be honest, I almost didn't take this job at all. I didn't know it was strip club when I applied."
A knowing look passed between the girls.
"How bad do you need the money?" Asa asked sympathetically.
"How did you-?"
"Honey, if you didn't need the money, you'd have walked right back out, not reconsidered."
She had a point. If the idea of working in this sort of place was enough to make someone not want a job, then the only logical reason why they'd accept one, was out of necessity.
"Not completely screwed yet," I confessed, "But close enough. I just moved out here, had been saving all my life pretty much," I began as they all gathered around, "I never anticipated the difficulties I've had though."
"I hear you there," Crystal laughed, Raking her fingers through her hair. "When I first moved out here from Arizona, I wanted to be a designer, worked my ass off, and kept thinking that break would be just around the corner." She sighed, shaking her head, "I'm still waiting for that corner to come into view. But I haven't given up, and this job keeps me afloat, well... more than afloat. The cash here is damn good."
"Yup, it's helping me fund law school," Asa said proudly.
"What about you? Why did you come to LA?" Dee-Ann asked.
"Acting," I replied, waiting for the moment that they'd begin to laugh or mock me, suspect I was just as nieve as everyone else back home thought I was.
"Go for it!" Dee-Ann said enthusiastically. "It's hard work to get your foot in the door around here, but you only miss out if you give up."
I smiled at her encouraging manner.
"I'm definitely not doing that. I'm still gonna be auditioning when I'm not here, I just needed a job to balance the funds whilst I wait for my boyfriend to join me out here. It's proving to be really hard considering we budgeted for a shorter term apart than what it's turning out to be."
"Aww, you have a guy? What's he like?" Crystal asked happily, her eyes bulging, sparkling brightly as she leant forward, eager to hear the information.
"Does he know about this place?" Asa asked curiously.
"His name's Ross, and he's an EMT," I began, "He's my world, I love him." They all made identical adorable faces, and moony eyes at me. "He knows I got a job as a waitress, but nothing about this place other than it being a club."
"Wise choice," Dee-Ann added, "We can't all have understanding partners."
She threw a glare at Crystal, who shrugged with a cocky smirk.
"I can't help that Tommy is perfect," She said teasingly.
"Or that he was a customer when you met," Asa coughed, earning a nudge in the ribs whilst Dee-Ann laughed.
"The point is, sometimes it's better to keep things back. What he doesn't know, can't hurt him," She added.
There was a shout from the bar, and they scurried to the door, gesturing for me to follow. As I stepped out into the crowded club, I put my game face on. This was nothing more daunting than an audition, I assured myself. A part to play.
"I am a waitress at a strip club," I whispered to myself, "Now get out there and rock this part."