The Taste of Spring

Yue woke up early like usual, filling up her watering can in the small back garden, then watering the pots she had in front and on her small balcony. The house wasn't all that big, it was a modest size, made from both wood and brick.

She dragged out the small display shelves from inside, placing her coloured sculptures on the racks carefully, trying to arrange them as such to attract customers. She tried to sell her stock before making any more, since making them wasn't cheap either. Tying her long hair up with a ribbon and securing her apron in place, she opened the windows and the double doors, brightening up the shop drastically, the glass shone in the light, creating a myriad of colours reflected on the walls.

It was a shame, since she was the only worker there, it was more taxing on her; making the glass, putting it on display, dealing with bills and paperwork, with customers. She doubted she'd be able to keep up. Although, the kids in town liked to hang around sometimes; that sometimes being today.

"Yue, Yue!" A young boy called, his squeaky voice shaking in laughter, "Look what we caught!"

"Look!" A girl's voice this time spoke up, running behind the little boy to Yue's shop. She kneeled down as the two approached, a friendly and over exaggerated smile on her face.

"What is it~?" She giggled, seeing the boy's hands enclosed over something. He opened them to reveal a particularly calm frog in his palm. She gasped as if she'd never seen a frog before, "Amazing!" The children laughed at her, feeling proud of themselves; then sad as the frog hopped away at the chance. Yue smiled, "I think I have something you'd like."

The children blindly followed after her as she browsed the shelves, when she reached the second one just outside, she 'Ah'd!' -finding what she'd been looking for. Picking up a red and yellow tinted glass frog, she held it out to the two, who awed at the sight, they brought their faces closer, looking through the colourless seethrough parts. Yue crouched down and met their eyes from the other side, "A frog for you~." She grinned, placing it in their hands.

"So cool!" The boy gaped, spinning the object around in his hands after taking it from his sister; she pouted and began whining about him hogging it when Yue brought out a pink and green dragonfly, holding it in front of the girl. Her eyes shone as she took the statue, comparing it instantly with her brother's.

Yue laughed at their antics, but she felt melancholy overcome her. She wanted children of her own, like many other people would. But without him, she couldn't. Well, she could but she wasn't going to play around when she's vowed only to love one person.

So what if she's 23 and still hasn't kissed anyone?

She's already gotten a marriage proposal from that boy she gave a frog to. She kindly declined it, she mustn't let her guard down even against 6 year olds, shoujo manga has taught her that much. Alas, he didn't listen to her voice, instead he announced he'll become the strongest and most attractive man, then he'll marry her.

-She'll be an old granny by that time.

Now that she's thinking about it, didn't Fon say he had a gift for her? Wonder what it was...?

A hopeless thought that made her even more depressed than normal. Also, the suspicious men loitering around town in expensive suits were putting her on edge. One of them even gave her a fruit basket that evening. They even threatened a couple men that visited her shop, she wasn't sure why; they didn't buy anything though so it wasn't like she cared...

Anyway, she didn't have a blackbelt in three dojos just to be unable to fend off a few men. Since she was in China, she thought, why not, and joined a couple places... She was living alone.