Chapter 11

I woke up to complete darkness. I couldn't see, but I could feel. I felt excruciating pain, and opened my mouth to scream, but there were bandages on my face, tightly wrapped. The complete darkness frightened me. It was as if one of my senses was just completely numbed.

"Isn't it frightening to be in the dark, Alice?" I tried to stand up, but there were ropes around me, tying me to my chair. "But of course, it's stupid to be afraid of the dark itself. What one should be scared of is what could be in the dark." The voice was moving nearer to me, I could hear it. "Tell me, do you really want to see?" The voice was right beside my ear. I tried to scream again, and thrashed about, trying to free myself, but I couldn't. I frantically nodded to answer his question.  "Very well, Alice. You may see." How did he see me? It's so dark in here, and I don't feel any bandages on my eyes.....In an instant, a light flashes on, blinding me for a second. 

I was dazed for a moment, but I could see clearly after a bit. I was in a stone room, a metal door a few feet from me. He was standing next to it, his hand on a light switch. What really shocked me was the bloody writing on the walls.....lies....lies.....lies....We all live in lies..... It was those words, written everywhere in my vision. I turned back to the door. "Would you like me to turn the light off?" I nodded frantically, regretting the action instantly. The light disappeared again. I heard a chuckle. "You see, this is what the world looks like, Alice. We live in lies, and no one tells you the truth. Once someone turns the light on, makes you realize that you were living a lie, you wish you didn't see anything. You want the light to turn off, you want to forget that there is a truth out there, you don't want a disruption in your peaceful life. Isn't that right, Alice?" I shook my head, and he chuckled again. "You know, that's what we are here for. People whom you would call 'different', 'unnatural', maybe even 'insane'. We are the ones who turn the light on for those who lived in darkness. It brings pain at first, but you realize that living your life knowing the truth is better than living in lies." It can't be true. He's lying, I know he is.

"Are you sure?"  " A little voice in my head asked me. Yes. I am sure. Or am I? I tried to push the voice back into my head, and he chuckled. 

"See? Now, you are realizing 'Maybe the voice is right?', aren't you?" I tried to ask him how he knows about it, but only my muffled voice came out behind the bandages. The pain of whatever the bandages were covering made me wince. "Oh, my! I think that you should see how happy you look!" My eyes widened. Could he have...? No. It...this can't be. I closed my eyes tightly, begging for this to be a dream. I heard some noise, and a switch flicking. I saw the light through my eyelids, but still my eyes didn't open. I felt a hand untying the bandage, and it loosened, until he pulled it away. "Come on, Alice, see your smile. Go on and look at your pretty face!" I then felt the pain rushing through me, but I didn't dare scream. I wouldn't give him the pleasure. I opened my eyes slowly, and saw a mirror in front of me. I gasped, making it hurt. The scars were covering my face, and I saw my face looked unbelievable. I looked insane, but my eyes looked frightened. Very much so. The light suddenly went off, and I felt another rag on my face. I instantly lost consciousness.