Chapter 38

"I'm home!" I yelled, as I shut the door behind me. 

Mom answered me quickly. "Hey there!" I took my coat and boots off and walked over to her. She was looking at me, my phone in her hand. Damn, I must have forgotten it. "Someone called you, Alice." 

"Did you answer it?" She shook her head. I wonder if it was Patrick, or Tara? "It said it was from an 'Anonymous'. Who could this be?" I had no idea......

"Maybe a prank call. Nothing serious." I smiled. 

She looked at the phone, not wanting to accept my answer, but gave in. "Alright. Lunch will be ready in about half an hour. See if you can set the table." I took the phone from her hand, and hurried to set the table. I was done in a few minutes, so I went to my room, just to lounge about or something. I was lying on the bed to rest a bit from the snowman-building session when my phone started vibrating. I checked the contact. 'Anonymous'. Maybe it was that caller from before........"

Hello?" I asked when I picked the phone up. 

"Hello there, Alice." 

I didn't recognize the voice at first, so I continued. "Excuse me, who is this?" I asked, slightly confused. 

The person laughed. "Listen again, Alice. Try and see who it is." I thought for a bit, trying to recognize it. I was so sure it was Patrick just prank calling, but........i-it......I nearly shrieked as I dropped the phone. It was.....it was David. But how? I should......I-I should trace the call! No.....I picked the phone up again with trembling hands. I heard David laughing. Not that low chuckle, but a menacing laugh that made me cringe. 

"Wha......w-what do you want?" I asked quietly, my voice shaking. 

"I wanted to hear you, Alice. Hear fear in your voice." I tried to think of a good comeback, but I honestly couldn't. 

"Ho-how......how did you........." I couldn't finish, but he did it for me. 

"Get your number? I have sources, Alice. And you leave your phone beside you every night. That helped me." He was here? As in, in here? Oh, god. He still does that...........

"But.....but you....where are you calling from?" I asked, trying to mask my fear. He still sees me when I sleep. I wonder if he takes Sophie with him? Wait, what? Ugh.......

"Public phones still exist. There could be one just in front of your building, but this isn't it." I glanced out the window, then remembered that I can't see shit outside my window. 

I heard a chuckle. "You just had to look, didn't you? Curious, curious, curious. You're honoring your name, Alice." I

 remembered the story again. Alice in Wonderland. It used to be my favorite book. Dad read it to me every night........

"But now's not a time to stay silent, Alice. You'll have a great time at your dance........" I didn't want to hear more, so I hung up the phone. I could have done that before. 

It didn't stay quiet for long, as my phone rang again. I picked it up, since he probably wouldn't stop calling. 

"Don't hang up again. You could miss something important, you know." David growled. 

"What could be so important that you had to tell me every second of every minute of every single day?" I asked, a bit annoyed. 

"Maybe the fact that someone dies tomorrow." 

I remembered. "Well, why do you have to kill me then? You could have just done it sooner......." I realized what I was saying. 

David laughed. "You believe that I'll kill you? Oh, no, no, no, no, no. that would be counterproductive. I'm trying to show you a way to a more, ahem, adventurous life, not end it." I.....I couldn't......I slowly began to realize what he meant. 

"You....you wouldn't......no...." I couldn't bring out anything. 

"Exactly, Alice. Say your goodbyes to your mother!" I began to say something, but he hung up. My mom walked in on me staring at my phone blankly. Mom.....no........you can't die!