Chapter Nine

Unedited.

"Alright, alright." Fitz said straightening up, he picked out a card from the deck.

The game was simple, and was just conversation starters, riddles and questions. Sophie gave one last laugh as she straightened up from the living room floor where she had burst out laughing from the last card.

"The biggest lie you have told." Fitz read out loud. "Probably telling you I haven't lied before." Sophie said. "That isn't fair." He said. Sophie shrugged giving her most confident smile as she chose another card. "I am the beginning of the end, in between the sea, and last in time." Sophie said.

Fitz only thought for a moment before answering the riddle. "The letter 'e'." He said already reaching for another card. "Oh this is a truth or dare." He said his eyes brightening. "Oh boy...." Sophie mumbled. The truth or dares was like drawing a wild card, and from what Fitz had told her only ten cards were in the deck. "Dare." Sophie said before regretting it immediately. "The dare is simple." Fitz said, reading from the card. "You must choose one person in this room." Fitz pointed to himself smugly, since it was only Sophie and himself. "To kiss." He said with a smirk.

"What?! It doesn't say that." Sophie said reaching for the card, but Fitz held it out of her reach, "You wouldn't have liked the dare, so I gave you an alternative." He said, Sophie realized her face was mere inches from hers, in reaching for the card, she had leaned into Fitz. He smiled, "Of course I can tell you the real dar-" he didn't finish his sentence as Sophie pressed her lips to his, just as quickly she pulled away. Fitz blinked as she reached for a card, "Wow...." He breathed. Sophie felt herself smile at her success of making him star struck. The past two days, Sophie and Fitz had stolen more kisses than they could count.

It was like a game, to see who could render each other speechless or star eyed. But each kiss had left both of them like that, and Sophie had pulled ahead...as of one kiss. Fitz grinned and leaned forward. "That really wasn't a kiss..." He said, before Sophie could shoot back a playful response she felt herself get star struck by Fitz's kiss...and now they were tied...but who was counting? Sophie wondered as she held onto Fitz's tunic. The kiss wasn't nearly as long as she had wanted it to be, but when Fitz pulled away his face was so serious, Sophie felt a small bit of panic go through her. Had she kissed him wrong? Did he not like her anymore? But then Fitz smiled a small smiled as he stood up. "Come on." He said pulling her up with him.

"Where?" Sophie asked, prepared to go to space if he wanted too. Fitz didn't let go of her hand but instead tightened his around hers. "You'll see." He promised as he pulled her to the front door. "Oh come on...." Sophie whined as she let herself be led outside. The sun was in the very beginnings of setting, out front was a white stallion. "Um...Fitz.." Sophie said as they walked towards the horse, the horse was beautiful with muscle beneath the pale coat. "We are going horseback riding." Fitz said. As they stopped beside the horse. "One horse?" Sophie asked. Fitz put his boot in the stirrup. "It's better this way....don't you think?" He asked, as he mounted then held his hand out to her.

One horse, meant being close, holding on to each other..... Sophie took Fitz's hand. "Sure." She said as she mounted up pin the horse, behind him, so he wouldn't see her smile. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she heard him give a quiet chuckle. "I thought so." He mumbled as he steered the horse away from the house. Fitz was strong, Sophie had known that long ago, but as she rested her head on his shoulder, holding tight to his waist she felt the strength in him, his confidence in being himself made him strong, his bravery and loyalty made him strong, he fought for her...and she knew he would continue to fight for her. He wouldn't let her face the world alone.

Sophie wrapped her arms tighter around Fitz, pressing herself closer to him, why hadn't she seen it before? Why hadn't she trusted him? Lucifer was still in her head, and was messing with her mind, her thoughts. Fitz would be afraid of Lucifer in her memory but he didn't want her to face it alone... He would fight for her.