Chapter Five

Unedited.

Maybe it was the fact that she had seen Mr. Snuggles as a stuffed animal first, or maybe it was because of the massive boulder holding it back, Sophie stepped forward.

Before she could even transmit that she was a friend, the head reared back. "Get down!" Fitz shouted, Sophie felt something heavy hit her flinging her aside, she felt her skin get scraped in several places, the temperature of the room rose uncomfortably high.

But fire didn't spill out, instead choked strangled sound came and the smell of smoke filled the air. Sophie realized Fitz had tackled her to one side and Sandor had dove to the other side. Mr. Snuggles gave a choking sound as it coughed out dark smoke, but in fact teal eyes had captured her eyes. Out of a dragon that should have been extinct and teal eyes, the eyes made her heart flutter and made the impossible sink away. "Are you okay?" Fitz transmitted. He had landed on top of her. Shielding her body with his own, just as he had when in the chambers having to share the bed. He had placed himself between the door and her, shielding her from the world, from the danger that was outside.

He had protected her, even if there was a cost to him. Sophie leaned up on her elbows as Fitz leaned back, to let her up, not breaking eye contact. Sophie was seeing stars and she was pretty sure it wasn't from the tackling tumble. "I'm.....good." Sophie had to form the words in her mind, and make sense of them before she forced them out. A loud sound came from behind them and she looked up. The dragon was only a baby but bigger than any animal Sophie had see before.

"Friend." She transmitted softly, as she sat up farther. "Friend....I'm not going to hurt you." She promised showing herself caring for Silveny, Bad Dog and Myth. The dragon's thrashing didn't stop but it slowed. "Don't try to fool me elf." Came the snarl in her mind. Sophie jumped, and looked up at the dragon. It could speak? A curl of smoke came out of it's nose. "Of course I can elf." Was the contemptuous answer. "Did you just read my mind?" She asked out loud as she stood, brushing her skinned palms across her pants. "Are you daft? Of course I did. I am a dragon." Another curl of smoke came up from the raised snout as the chest puffed up. "How'd you get in this mess?" She asked looking at the boulder on the tail. A snarl sounded, but it wasn't threatening.

It seemed sad...or humiliated. "I was sleeping, and when I stretched my tail hit the boulder knocking it loose. It's become numb and I can't feel it anymore."

"How'd you get here?" Sophie asked as she gingerly stepped towards the new Mr. Snuggles. It wasn't as big as it seemed, instead it was on a raised part of the floor. "I'm looking for a cave an inhabitance, a home." Came the reply. "Well I know a pretty good cave if that's what you want." Sophie said thinking of the cave at Havenfield. The head shot up again. "Are you mocking me, you foolish elf?!" It sounded shocked that she would do such I thing. "No." Sophie snapped as it raised it's head back as if ready to try and char her to ashes. "And the names Sophie." Sophie said as she climbed up beside Mr. Snuggles. "Sophie Foster." She said as she went to the tail.

"Um....Sophie...." Fitz said hesitantly. Sophie realized she had been talking to silence this whole time. "Who are your foolish companions?" Asked Mr. Snuggles glaring down at Fitz and Sandor. "They aren't...." Sophie stopped. "Sandor and Fitz. My bodyguard and physician." She said as she went to the back of the tail. No matter how much she wanted to, she refused to touch the glinting scales. Who knew what reaction that could cause. A short breath was released in what Sophie might of though amusement.

"Why can't you breath fire?" She asked, the temperature rose again, and Sophie felt like she was standing next to an open oven. Touchy subject. Sophie told herself. Move on.

"Anyways this cave I have in mind it's next to a beach." Sophie said as she looked at the swollen tail beneath the boulder. She could tell the dragon was interested but didn't reply. "It's pretty big to." She said. "It's a ways from. The main house and stuff, but it's still comfortably close. Food could be provided so long as you don't attack anything there." The smell of smoke clogged up the air again. "I don't eat meat. Bones get stuck in my teeth." The back leg shifted agitatedly. "I've had to survive on the fish that come through the stream, but one bone is at the very back." Mr. Snuggled said.

"I could try getting it for you. First we'll have to get this boulder off." Sophie mumbled. The boulder was much to heavy to lift or roll off, but maybe... Sophie took a deep breath and gathered her energy, gingerly reaching her hand out she pushed against the rock. "Wait...promise you won't kill us once this rock is off." Sophie said. "Foolish elf. I. Don't. Eat. Meat." The dragon replied. "Good enough." Sophie shrugged turning back to the boulder. "This is going to hurt." She mumbled. Every muscle tensed in Mr. Snuggles body. "For who?" It asked. "Both of us probably." Sophie answered. "Sophie, do you need help?" Sandor asked hesitantly. The temperature rose again. "I do not want these...other fools near me. One is enough." Mr. Snuggles said. "Gee thanks." Sophie said sarcastically.

"I think I'm good." She called to the others. "I fear I've already lost brain cells, talking to you this long." Mr. Snuggles said. Sophie wanted to say 'I'm not the one stuck under a rock' but she didn't. "Brace." She said as she took one more deep breath, as she stationed her feet on either side of the thick magenta red tail. Placing her hands on the boulder she shoved. Not only with her muscle but with her energy as well. Using telekinetic energy and her own mind energy. The boulder moved and the tail coiled as the boulder rolled, a roar of pain quaked the cavern, as it reached the very end, the tail ripped out from beneath the boulder as it moved the last inch, hitting Sophie it flung her to the back of the cavern as the dragon roared half in victory and half in pain.

She knew it before she felt it. This was going to hurt. Her back hit stone, wall she was sure she had felt something move and crack in her body, that wasn't supposed to move or crack. She saw stars, but this time they weren't gentle, instead these were painful and bright like fireworks, sending burning pain through her her body, her last sight was of Fitz's wide eye fear, and Mr. Snuggles roaring, before everything went black.

(It's kind of hard to update with all the 'plz update', seriously people I'm having enough trouble burying all the people who have 'died' over this story. But here is your update peeps. ;-; )